What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of your Drosera eating things

Yes. I have seen female moths do the same. Come to the lights crash into window and lay eggs right there

Some more pics and crop of eggs
IMGP7644_2_zps5766a2c8.jpg

IMGP7644_3_zps2b8a8a31.jpg

Last edited:
The caterpillars would be doomed the moment they hatch, assuming the eggs are still viable.

Keep us updated . . . interested to see if the eggs are digested or if they hatch out.

I reworked the color balance a bit (see above). This appears to be a Western Pygmy-Blue
Brephidium exilis (Boisduval, 1852). Eggs are described as turban shaped, pale green or blue-green. Normally a single egg is laid on the underside of leaves.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Brephidium-exilis

Last edited:
A D. capensis having a little snack.

13918584988_03a128139f_o.jpg

Drosera regia

D_regiamoth2316.JPG

D_regiamoth2318.JPG

More of the Pygmy blue eggs in D. cistiflora. The butterfly managed to escape but was trapped again in another leaf. You can't win.
rectangle_New-Out99993-PyramidWeightedAverage101_zps18b689d5.jpg~original

Trapped again!
IMGP7773_zps674d7847.jpg

Last edited:
Astonishing shots all around! Very cool stuff. This thread was the best idea I ever had. :D

Awesome shot, Kevin!! Hope you enter that in the May plant of the month.

Awesome shot, Kevin!! Hope you enter that in the May plant of the month.

Thanks, and we'll see. =)

Find these moths in my clothes, in our bird cages, everywhere. They invariably find their way to my D. scorpioides.
RPnimIO.jpg

Beautiful shots Kevin P, what do you use for macro photography? :0o:

Thanks, all! It's just a Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V, which has decent zoom capabilities (no option to change lenses though, natch). Saving up for better, as the shots it takes get pretty noisy at higher resolutions.

LOL! I want Kevin's camera!

De Vermis Mysteriis

Eggs hatched. Here is an animated GIF
dewormissmysteriis_zps8ba6205d.gif

Eew, they look like fungus gnat larvae with the black heads but fatter and yellow.

You can see the opening on some of the eggs in this crop:
IMGP7897_2_zps30b2b4ad.jpg

Back