What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, thought I finally make a thread about my plants. I mainly grow lowlanders in 2 terrariums. The main one is lucky reptile measured about 80 x 50 x 100 cm (2.7 x 1.6 x 3.2 ft) and the second consists of 2 Ikea glass cabinets combined into one at about 160 x 80 x 30 cm (2.7 x 5.3 x 1 ft). Main terrarium has 2 x 18 W T8s, the secondary has 2 x 8 W T5s.

The main terrarium
main_terrarium1.jpg

main_terrarium2.jpg

The secondary terrarium
sec_terrarium1.jpg

The neps:
(Main terrarium)

Nepenthes Bicalcarata × Ampullaria
N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata1.jpg

Nepenthes Ampullaria 'Lime Twist'
N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist1.jpg

Nepenthes Bellii × Truncata
N_Bellii_x_Truncata5.jpg

Nepenthes × Kuchingensis (Ampullaria × Mirabilis)
N_Kuchingensis7.jpg

Nepenthes × Trichocarpa
trichocarpa12.jpg

Nepenthes × Hookeriana
N_hookeriana7.jpg

Nepenthes Bellii 'Mindanao'
N_bellii12.jpg

Nepenthes Veitchii 'Golden peristome'; lowland form, Bario
N_veitchii_gold10.jpg

Nepenthes Albomarginata 'Red'; G. Jerai, Kedah, Malaysia
N_albomarginata_red6.jpg

Nepenthes Mirabilis var. Echinostoma
N_Mirabilis_var._Echinostoma6.jpg

(secondary terrarium)

Nepenthes sp.
N_mixta1.jpg

Drosera Madagascariensis
d_madagascariensis2_rajattu.jpg

Nepenthes Ampullaria 'Brunei Red Speckled'
n_ampullaria8.jpg

Cephalotus Follicularis
C_follicularis1.jpg

Nepenthes × 'Rebecca Soper'
N_rebecca_soper3.jpg

Nepenthes × Louisa (Hirsuta × Rebecca Soper)
N_Louisa5.jpg

Last edited:
I bet your Nep sp. is a Miranda, judging from the leaves. A closer shot of pitchers would help though.

Here's a picture of a pitcher. Currently they are almost all without a lid. It sure seems like a Miranda but what am I doing wrong? Its in lowland conditions, humidity 80 %+, temps day up to 82F, night down to 72F.

N_Mixta_kannu5.jpg

Last edited:
I would assume soil conditions then. They like airy soils, like a mix of sphagnum and perlite. That's what mine are in, and they even pitchered when in only 20% humidity. What soil is yours in?

Nice collection. I bet you never have low humidity issues with that lining in your terrarium.

Thanks Jcal. No, I don't have low humidity issues (anymore) but recently I noticed that keeping the ventilation grill open in the lower part of the terrarium front wall causes the humidity to be too low next to the grill so I had to tape it shut.

hcarlton, I repotted the plant in LFS/perlite/orchid bark mix a few years ago so I don't know... After recovering from the repotting it made one normal pitcher, after that all without a lid except once in a while it makes a normal pitcher. This one is a mystery to me.

Thanks Jcal. No, I don't have low humidity issues (anymore) but recently I noticed that keeping the ventilation grill open in the lower part of the terrarium front wall causes the humidity to be too low next to the grill so I had to tape it shut.

Little, or funky looking lids aren't a soil issue. Any chance Miranda was one of the one's in lower humidity? Low humidity might cause lids to grow strangely or too small. You could also bump the lighting up or move it closer to the lights, Miranda likes a lot of sun and that pitcher looks like it's been grown in too little light. How long has it been in the terrarium, any chance it's still adjusting to the conditions in there?

Taargus, this one was on the other side of the terrarium than the vent grill. But it's possible as I've just recently blocked most of the vent holes so the humidity stays up. It's been almost 2 years in the terrarium. As for the lighting it's worth a try but I moved it to the other terrarium which has even less light as I got a bunch of new plants to the main terrarium. I may as well trade/sell the miranda as I can't offer it the conditions it needs. Anyone has a Campanulata to trade? ;)

Oh and I got a new Bellii (the one above is struggling for survival) from carnivoria.eu. I ordered one and got 2 (or more, there's lots of basals)

N_Bellii20.jpg

Last edited:
Some pitcher pictures.

Mirabilis var Echinostoma
N_Mirabilis_var._Echinostoma_kannu8.jpg

Veitchii LL form, golden peristome
N_veitchii_gold13.jpg

Bellii x Truncata young pitcher
N_Bellii_x_Truncata8.jpg

Trichocarpa
trichocarpa14.jpg

Kuchingensis. Looks alot like Hookeriana.
N_Kuchingensis10.jpg

Louisa
N_Louisa7.jpg

Rebecca Soper making an upper pitcher. It made a few a while ago and then stopped but now it's back.
N_rebecca_soper7.jpg

Last edited:
New pics.

Bellii x Truncata. Definitely a leaf jump there:
N_Bellii_x_Truncata10.jpg

N_Bellii_x_Truncata11.jpg

Ampullaria Lime Twist:
N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist8.jpg

N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist9.jpg

Bicalcarata x Ampullaria. Despite of the damaged leaf a pitcher is developing(!):
N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata6.jpg

N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata7.jpg

Hookeriana. Huge leaf jump and nice pitchers:
N_hookeriana12.jpg

N_hookeriana11.jpg

Bellii. Finally starting to adapt. Currently it has 4 growth points even though the main vine died:
N_bellii26.jpg

N_bellii28.jpg

Cephalotus. The LED light has now been around 3 weeks and it's already showing on the pitchers, all the pitchers and leaves were completely green before:
C_follicularis8.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I love your set-up!

A couple of pics about leaf jumps! Seems like the plants like it there. I'm just about to complete the heating system for the plants which keeps the temp at about 28C (83F) during the day.

Ampullaria Lime Twist. The latest leaf jump is huge.
N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist10.jpg

Hookeriana is about to outgrow the terrarium and is starting to shade smaller plants.
N_hookeriana13.jpg

N_hookeriana16.jpg

Ampullaria x Bicalcarata opened its first pitcher on a damaged leaf. The most recent leaf is much larger that the previous one.
N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata9.jpg

N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata10.jpg

Last edited:
Update. Note that my previous pics don't show anymore. Currently I'm using dropbox for my pics.

Cephalotus. Under LED-lights for about 3 months now.
C_follicularis9.jpg

C_follicularis10.jpg

C_follicularis12.jpg

C_follicularis14.jpg

Trichocarpa is producing a basal:
trichocarpa15.jpg

Kuchingensis. Pitchers start to get chubbier. Leaves don't grow in size much.
N_Kuchingensis17.jpg

Hookeriana and quite big pitchers. Also making 2 basals:
N_hookeriana18.jpg

N_hookeriana22.jpg

Ampullaria x Bicalcarata newest pitcher.
N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata11.jpg

Ampullaria Lime Twist. Leafjumps are amazing but the pitchers stay smallish.
N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist11.jpg

N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist13.jpg

Albomarginata Red. Pitchering OK but the pitchers are quite small.
N_albomarginata_red16.jpg

N_albomarginata_red17.jpg

I just found this thread and I'm sorry I can't see the previous photos. I like your choice of species. I don't know anything about N. kuchingensis but that is a cool pitcher.

Thanks bluemax. I've just fixed the pic urls for the other pics. I hope you can see them now.

Now I can see. A nice progression with the plants getting larger. 'Nice terras, too.

Oh, nice setup! Such large plants!

nice hookeriana,and your ceph is looking good too,good growing Pete

Thanks Corky!

Some pics!

Ampullaria Lime Twist:
N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist21.jpg

N_Ampullaria_LimeTwist25.jpg

Bicalcarata x Ampullaria (Has fangs!):
N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata20.jpg

N_Ampullaria_x_Bicalcarata19.jpg

Bellii x Truncata. The pitcher is the largest so far:
N_Bellii_x_Truncata15.jpg