What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paloma, demon puppy! DUW

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
We have an 11-month old puppy named Paloma. She's supposed to be 100% standard chihuahua, but, obviously, something went wrong.

Hybrids are usually desirable, anyways, because they are extra sturdy, but of all the possible things to cross a chi with, why a Jack Russel terrier? We're almost certain that's what the father was, but we'll never truly know.

This is what we usually see when she's at the dog park:

060.jpg

Here are the few, danged lucky, shots I have of Paloma at play:

064.jpg

062.jpg

054-1.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

070.jpg

The pictures are kinda out of focus. I was trying a technique used mainly in SLR and manual-focus cameras, where you pick a range, pre-set your focus, and only shoot when the subject races into focus. It kinda works in a digital point and shoot, but I need more practice. That is, of course, why I was shooting the dog. :-D

Here is Paloma at rest:

250.jpg

252.jpg

248.jpg

246.jpg

053-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

It was so late last night, I forgot to mention why we call her demon spawn.

To date, she has dug four holes in teh carpet, peeled one half of the "new" La-Z-Boy recliner (leather!), shredded three pillows, dug a hole through a different recliner, and successfully terrorized four kitties.

She's getting better, thank goodness! Now she tears through the house, up and down the hallway and over the bed at breakneck speed seemingly all day. This dog never tires!

She is very athletic, and can get onto the table with ease. No counter is safe. She showed us she can do that trick by snagging an ampullaria I just got in the mail off the stove, ripping open the box for me, and eating the poor, defenseless amp. :rant: She can even get into the truck, if we leave the windows down.

Paloma IS going through puppy training classes, but we can expect this behavior for another 6 month or so before she finally grows out of it. Once we can afford it, she's being enrolled in agility, to try and work out some of that destructiveness. In the meantime, her name is MUD.

Dang dog!

Wow! She's grown a LOT since I saw her!

She was only about one and a half to two times the size of her littermates in the beginning. Now she's almost ten times heavier.

ADORABLE! :laaa:

Seriously...the cute ones get away with murder. ;)

How on earth could anyone confuse a terrier and a CHIHUAHUA as the father?!?

How on earth could anyone confuse a terrier and a CHIHUAHUA as the father?!?

Mom got out.

They were trying to breed her to get more chihuahuas, but then she got out for three days. All but one came out as chi. We got... lucky, I guess, with Paloma. As I look at the ruined carpet, I wonder where that luck went? :lol:

I'm just glad she's not so small she's underfoot all the time. She'll make a good sailing companion, once she trains up a bit.

She's going to be one of the most energetic dogs on the face of the earth..... Good luck with her, you'll need it.

Back