What's new

P. crystallina/hirtiflora complex cultivation

w03

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here grows plants from the P. crystallina complex and what conditions you use for them. I'm thinking about picking up a P. megaspilaea, but the info is pretty sparse. Do the species from this complex just grow like normal temperate pings in terms of temps and dormancy? I read somewhere about using a flow table for P. hirtiflora, but that sounds pretty complex to set up so I'm curious whether anyone grows them in just normal potted conditions.

Thanks in advance :D

Bonjour

P.megaspilae or P.habilii

P.megaspilea
for me is a hirtiflora variety with long leaves

I grow these complex ( P.hirtiflora ,P.habilii,etc) like a temperate ping in calcareous substrate.

for them no dormancy, also avoid too strong negative temperature .

jeff

I looked up the temps of the area where P. megaspilea grows. It seems like they can experiences temps in the high 80s and low 90s during the summer, and experience a winter of low around 60.

I should add though, I do not know the altitudinal range of the plants, so the temps could be a bit cooler. Best to avoid high temps, to be safe.

Bonjour

see here all the temperate ping generalite

you have all the complex cristallina /habilii in monographie with all the species (taxonomie-habitat-morphologie-photos)

for this P.habilii ( nommed megaspileon) in Turkey just 100-200 m in altitude

for the real P.Crystallina subsp hirtiflora var megaspilaea in Greece 1930 m

jeff

Last edited: