What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid collection winner allegedhuman $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are three orchids, one of which is in bloom, another is about to bloom and the third is probably a couple years from blooming.

The first is a Phalaenopsis pallens var. denticulata, which is a small-growing, very tolerant species. This one is ~8" from leaf tip to leaf tip and it has three flower buds, a keiki and other spikes that are still deciding what to do. It's been a reliable bloomer for a number of years. Here is a photo of what you can expect when it blooms (not my photo): http://www.orchidspecies.com/phalpallens.htm and here are a couple photos of the plant you are bidding on:

Phalaenopsispallensdenticulata1.jpg

Phalaenopsispallensdenticulata2.jpg

The 2nd plant is an Ascocentrum ampullaceum var. moulmeinense, which is another small-growing and pretty fool-proof species. This one is ~7" from leaf tip to leaf tip and is coming into peak bloom now. It usually blooms for a few weeks and has been a reliable bloomer for several years. Here are a couple photos of the plant you're bidding on:

Ascocentrumampullaceummoulmeinense2.jpg

Ascocentrumampullaceummoulmeinense1.jpg

The third orchid is an Anacheilium cochleatum, which used to be known as Encyclia cochleata. This is the cockleshell orchid that looks like an octopus. It's pretty small, but it has really plumped up since I moved it to a different basket last fall and I think it's going to have a big year. Here's what you can expect when it blooms (not my photo) - http://www.orchidspecies.com/anacochleata.htm and here's a photo of the plant you're bidding on:

Prosthecheacochleata.jpg

Let the bidding start at $20 and I'll pay for priority mail shipping if they sell for at least $50.

These are easy to care for here in CT - they spend the cold months hanging in a south window and the warm months hanging in a tree. They go out once the low temperatures are staying above the mid 40s and come back in when temperatures start dropping below that in the fall. I water them 2-3 times per week when they're outdoors, less when it rains, and I water them once per week in the winter. I almost never fertilize them. I think they would do even better for a more motivated owner.

$20!
Any guesses as to an estimate for shipping should it not reach $50?

I doubt shipping will be much more than $10. I expect that they'll fit in a box that's well within the PO's 1 cu. ft. threshold, even with the blooming and the soon-to-bloom orchid remaining in their baskets to minimize the shock of traveling. I'll might send the small orchid bare-root because there's no bloom that could be disrupted. It's only when you exceed 1 cu. ft. that you get those shocking $25 bills to ship a light weight package by priority mail.

Sent in payment to NASC, just need to arrange shipping payment

The plants are on their their way 5/15 and should arrive 5/17.

This is a reminder to complete this auction. If the payment was sent and item received, please post here so this can be closed.

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction.

Got them today in excellent condition with both flowering plants not even a bud out of place due to super awesome shipping skills. Will send shipping reimbursement now that shipping costs known. Super plants!

Auction Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back