What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

omg

upper

Capensis Killer
my oreophila is getting big and its inflating. today i went to put some live sphagnum on top of the media to keep it cool, and i barely touched it and i heard a pop, the top(shaped like an R) has a slit in the middle. what's gonna happen? is this suppost to happen?

-off topic
(there's also a stalk growing on my VFT about an inch tall, should i cut it out now before it wastes more energy? how long should i keep before cutting it and stuff?)

umm I know the pitchers fill with air while forming just like a nepenthes if it popped it might not be able to inflate anymore.

sounds like the pitcher was ready to "pop" anyway..and your brushing it popped it..
not a big deal at all, it would have happened naturally anyway soon enough.

and as for the VFT flowers, cut them as soon as you see them.
as soon as the stalk is tall enough that you can chop the bud off..

Scot

should i tape it? xD jk.

and i just found 2 more buds on my vft o_o, ima chop em all off. i already let 1 flowered. beautiful.
and its still growing healthily... outdoor.....

I've popped some pitchers too and nothing bad happened.

thanks for clearing that up. i thought that when i pop it, it'll stop getting big. the oreophila isnt even big yet. its barely like 4 inch tall or less

I'm not sure what you've done, but the pitchers are like purses. When they're ready to open, the seam will split, sometimes quite quickly over a few minutes.

Your plant should now be looking like this:

upload%204%20pitcher%20leaf%20opening.jpg

You can't pop it open before it's ready without a bit of force, so if you've just brushed against it, it was ready to open anyway.

Pitcher sizes vary - a 4" high pitcher is nothing unusual if you have a young or small plant.

Back