What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh Wow Nice Timing Nepenthes... Flower Help?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Apparently I was right about my N. x 'Melvino' flowering. I got it in June and it just opened up a new leaf revealing a thick flower stalk. It is a boy. The problem is that my N. ventricosa x talangensis is close to opening. My N. ventrata is also starting to open the lower flowers which is weird because the flower stalk didn't even appear until a few days after the N. ventricosa x talangensis' flower stalk.

My N. ventricosa flower stalk has been swelling for about 30 days.
My N. ventrata flower stalk has been swelling for about 15 days.
My N. x 'Melvino' flower stalk has been swelling since... IDK. I knew it was there weeks before it opened because I could see it in there. So you could say it is a few weeks along? Not sure... It is pretty thick-looking to me already.

Male N. x 'Melvino' flower

dphkrq.jpg

Female N. ventrata flower

6ns0gk.jpg

Female N. ventricosa x talangensis flower

261hymq.jpg

Is there any chance that I'd be able to pollinate the females with the male that is just now opening? Or is it highly unlikely? :-(

'Tis the season, I suppose! Guess what? My "boy" just turned out to be a girl in disguise.

'Tis the season, I suppose! Guess what? My "boy" just turned out to be a girl in disguise.

Gaaaah. I would supply pollen but I'm pretty sure your female flower is farther along than my two females, so there's still the same problem. ???

Yeah, tell me about it. Well, there's hope for mine; I have a second flower coming up.

Yeah, tell me about it. Well, there's hope for mine; I have a second flower coming up.

Isn't there like a 2-4 day window in which they must be pollinated? My problem is missing that window by waiting for my N. x 'Melvino' flower to open. Hopefully it hurries and opens so I can at least pollinate one of my females... :scratch:

Isn't there like a 2-4 day window in which they must be pollinated? My problem is missing that window by waiting for my N. x 'Melvino' flower to open. Hopefully it hurries and opens so I can at least pollinate one of my females... :scratch:

2-4 days??? Good lord no....who told you that?! Female blooms take several days after opening to ripen before they are fully pollen-ready, and can remain pollen-receptive for several weeks, in many cases. The clue is the "fragrance" the females make when they are ready; you can't miss it. They give off a pungent, musk smell, and that indicates they are ready to rock, so to speak. I have pollinated females a month or more after first opening. I think you have some time.

2-4 days??? Good lord no....who told you that?! Female blooms take several days after opening to ripen before they are fully pollen-ready, and can remain pollen-receptive for several weeks, in many cases. The clue is the "fragrance" the females make when they are ready; you can't miss it. They give off a pungent, musk smell, and that indicates they are ready to rock, so to speak. I have pollinated females a month or more after first opening. I think you have some time.

Oooh okay I see. I forget exactly who told me it, but I remember where it was told to me. It was on another forum in chat. Thanks for clearing that up! So I guess I will have time to pollinate the females with the male. :)

Back