What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh oooo

I am familiar with the North American Wetlands Conservation Council. I would agree with much of what was written regarding peatland reclamation. In theory, it should work. Unfortunately, I believe I read that efforts may not be all that consistent and only a percentage of peatland was actually being revegetated with sphagnum moss. More restoration research is necessary. Perhaps our Canadian neighbors are in a better position to comment.

Yep. It says somewhere in there that the land could also be reclaimed into land for crops(berries), wetland habitat for waterfowl, or to forest. "Good" or "bad" I'm not sure.

I remember when a peat mining company began operating near the Great Heath north of Cherryfield, Maine in the late 80s.  It took every shortcut it could and, when we got a heavy storm, it discharged water thick with powdery peat into the nearby heathland and Narraguagas River.  I saw the results when going down the river doing soils work a few weeks later.  What a mess it was; everything was encrusted with dry, hydrophobic peat.

It wasn't the Exxon Valdez, but it shows what happens when regulators expect a business to invest in the "environment" without providing rigorous oversight of everything it does.  Investors want profits and don't really care if sphagnum grows on the site or downstream again.  It's more profitable to go strip mine somewhere else later.

Back