What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

off and on "ailment" for the last year or so.

For the last year or so off and on there has been a strange discoloring and speckeling if you will, of one or a few of my nepenthes' leaves, it only happens on some leaves, and then it stops, I recently started treating with neem and that only seemed to be too little too late as the leaves that were effected soon blackened, The condition starts up for a month or so, then stops, all the new growth is unaffected, then it starts again, only hitting one or two leaves at a time, This happened in the old pot it was in, and in its new pot wioth new substrate. I noticed it starting again on some leaves since the last treatment, I have a pitcure of a leaf last time that it happened...maybe someone here can ID this better than i can and give me a good idea of whats up. There are no visible pests on the plant itself nor in the spotting meduim...and it is so sporradic that i just dont know what to make of it. The plant sometimes pushes through and pitchers even with this happening, other times it just kstops growing for a while, what is stranger still is that this nep is near other neps that are not affected at all by this.

here is a picture from the last time that it happened, and i will try to get a picture from the most recent outbreak, as its still a small amount of discoloration, and may be i can treat it and actually stop whats happening.
nepailment.jpg

No one can help me with this? i have tried looking high and low for what this could be and havent found anything.

Unfortunately I don't know the cause but I'll "bump" this for you again...

Not sure, but looks like it could be rust fungus. Another thought is possibly mites. Mites are so small it can be very difficult to see them with the naked eye, and I have had some mite damage that looked somewhat similar (though mostly on the bottom of the leaves). Personally I've never been too impressed with neam oil, but maybe I've used it wrong (?). The best treatments are usually systematic fungicides/insecticides because they are absorbed by the plant and can remain effective in warding off the pest for several weeks. Try Bayer Advanced brand insect and disease control (http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products/3-in-1-insect-disease-mite-control) , which is systematic and will treat for insects, mites, and fungus. If your betting on it being a fungus then you might try a sulfur based fungicide (I use Safer brand Garden Fungicide: http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5450?gclid=CKqk_svj67MCFctcMgodFxkA6g).

Thats a severe case of fungus id say with maybe a little mite thrown in

Not sure, but looks like it could be rust fungus. Another thought is possibly mites. Mites are so small it can be very difficult to see them with the naked eye, and I have had some mite damage that looked somewhat similar (though mostly on the bottom of the leaves). Personally I've never been too impressed with neam oil, but maybe I've used it wrong (?). The best treatments are usually systematic fungicides/insecticides because they are absorbed by the plant and can remain effective in warding off the pest for several weeks. Try Bayer Advanced brand insect and disease control (http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-shrub-care/products/3-in-1-insect-disease-mite-control) , which is systematic and will treat for insects, mites, and fungus. If your betting on it being a fungus then you might try a sulfur based fungicide (I use Safer brand Garden Fungicide: http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5450?gclid=CKqk_svj67MCFctcMgodFxkA6g).
Awesome, I will look into both of those.

You can always check out your local Extension Agents. They're probably the best resource you can get for this kind of stuff. And you can't beat the price ;)
http://www.denverext.colostate.edu/plantclinics.html
Funny thing is I volunteer at the botanic gardens, but havent gotten much advice on whats up there eoither
Thats a severe case of fungus id say with maybe a little mite thrown in
Well good to know....Im happy that i have finally solved thge mystery. time to start treatment and tsee what happens. Thank you everyone

Funny thing is I volunteer at the botanic gardens, but havent gotten much advice on whats up there either

Really? Hmmm that's unfortunate.

I wish there was a resource for all pests and diseases for all carnivorous plants. Now that's a book I'd buy. I know some books have a small section dedicated to this, but it just doesn't seem like enough. Seems like most people are perplexed when ever something happens to their CPs and this would be useful.
I guess one could just get a book on pests and diseases and apply it to CPs, but the pictures wouldn't be as awesome to look at.

I would love a book dedicated to CP pests and such

Back