What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice hybrids which aren't picky about temp differential

DrWurm

Californian in DC
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for for some handsome nep hybrids (not ventrata) which will grow well in an office environment where the day/night temp differential is minimal. I've got a x Wrigleyana and a x Lorraine under a T5 fixture at my office desk. Assuming they do alright, I'll probably want a few more neps.

Cheers

Jason

Last edited:
N. x 'Miranda' comes to mind, though it may get too big for an office environment. N. x 'Gentle' is a relatively small maxima hybrid that does well on windows and the like...

N. maxima x aristolochioides is also a great plant. Almost anything with maxima in it should do well.

Last edited:
ventricosa X inermis is awesome! and grew very well on a windowsill for me.

N. maxima x aristolochioides is also a great plant. Almost anything with maxima in it should do well.

Awesome suggestion; I've been looking to get my hands on an aristo hybrid!

I would think an aristo hybrid would be difficult. I have heard that spatulata hybrids also do well in this environment.

The "easy genes" of maxima tend to nullify any difficulty or pickyness another species may have when bred to it.

N. maxima x aristolochioides is also a great plant

+1. This is one tough plant, thanks to the maxima, and it makes very colorful pitchers.

+1. This is one tough plant, thanks to the maxima, and it makes very colorful pitchers.

Good to hear! I already put in an order for one.

I'm still willing to hear any other suggestions from people!

Of my plants, the ones I think I could grow in an office (not already mentioned) are:

N. maxima "dark" x talangensis (which means Lady Pauline is a candidate too)
N. ventricosa x gymnamphora
N. ventricosa x Tiveyi "A"
N. Rokko

Any N. truncata hybrid should do well, as a bonus, they tend to tolerate low humidity well also.

Last edited:
Maxima X truncata (Problem, gets to over 4foot wide)
"Gothica"
Maxima X alata (needs pruning as it is a fast grower and loves to climb)
Ventricosa X campanulata (dull colour but compact and pitchers look like camps)
"Black Knight" (stays pretty small)
"Dyreana"(my all time fav hybrid, makes huge traps, but can reach large diameter (over 3feet))

I grow all of these and they are happy in low humidity, low light and an array of temps, However Dyreana makes small 20cm traps in less that 40% humidity, but any higher and the 30-35cm traps return, the other hybrids don't care about much and once adapted thrive.
I have only listed these hybrids as they seem to be my hardiest hybrids and have a broad temp tolerance, I am unsure what your temps are (I am presuming 20-25C).

I would lean towards the VentXcamp for an inside plant as the plant is full grown at about 1foot diameter, its traps are not very colourful (some flecks) but the traps look very similar to a campanuata.

Otherwise Ventricosa and maxima should do fine.

How small does "Black Knight" stay?

How small does "Black Knight" stay?

It's a vigorous hybrid that can easily grow several feet in a year, especially once it reaches the vining stage. It's not going to be a small plant much beyond year one.

Ventricosa X truncata would probably work well

It's a vigorous hybrid that can easily grow several feet in a year, especially once it reaches the vining stage. It's not going to be a small plant much beyond year one.

Darn it

I have a few Black Knight, all of which I have had for over 3years, they went from 10cm diameter to 1foot and 2feet long in the first year, but since then they have all only grow an extra foot long and basal like crazy, I am constantly taking cuttings, so I would call it a small plant.

I have a few Black Knight, all of which I have had for over 3years, they went from 10cm diameter to 1foot and 2feet long in the first year, but since then they have all only grow an extra foot long and basal like crazy, I am constantly taking cuttings, so I would call it a small plant.

An example of small being a relative term

Back