What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to CP from SG needs help

hi, i'm new here and new to CPs, but i'm particularly interested in sundews (Drosera) and growing them.

i'd like to have some recommendations as to which species are suitable to the SG climate (and suitable for a newbie) and where i can purchase them from in singapore.

i did some prelim research and understand that some species probably suitable are D. filiformis, D. intermedia
and D. spatulata? D. capensis doesn't do well in sg?

should i manage to get hold of some, i should:
1. use only distilled water to water them? or tap water will do?
2. keep their potting medium moist at all times?
3. leave them out in the sun?

thanks for reading my first and pretty long post

HI!!!!!! Welcome!!!! Contact Cindy on these forums. She hails from your area and can most likely help you in your endeavours. She is a forum moderator, and a genuinely nice person. Give her a try and Good Growing!!!!

Hi Hongrui!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. use only distilled water to water them? or tap water will do?
2. keep their potting medium moist at all times?
3. leave them out in the sun?

1. I used tap water.
2. Yup, medium moist. Not wet. In fact, I keep them a lot drier than most people do and they grow well for me.
3. Most sundews love the sun. That's why they are called Sundews!
laugh.gif
Only a few species like D. adelae needs to be kept in the shade.

Hi there hongrui. My name is Bernie - I'm Singaporean, but living in North California. I love CPs too, and have kept VFTs before in Singapore, though not successful. I just bought a type of Drosera, but am not sure what species, but it should be some hybrid of D.spathulata.

Good luck with your CPs!

Back