What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Venus Fly Trap Terrariums

if the VFT is older that just a seedling, I doubt you'd be able to skip 2 dormancy's... you really shouldnt even skip one... if you can help it...

skipping dormancy is just asking for a weaker plant that's more susceptible to disease and bad growth. if you skip one dormancy having the plant be healthy enough to go thru the next dormancy inside is going to be harder than normal...

the only time a windowsill is going to be a good form of dormancy is if the windowsill is incredibly bad at insulating temps from the outdoors... it'd basically have to be an open window in order for dormancy to work there...

He said he might order from andy, which of course we all know, are not seedlings and are mature plants that are able to skip dormacy. Temp is not the only thing to induces dormacy; photoperiod also does the trick as well. It just depends on your window. Also, the tempurature in winter and fall decrease fairly more than summer, does it not? Tempurature would decrease in your home unless you have a heater (which no one can afford to keep on 24/7/90), therefore, inducing dormacy.

Good Luck!

the only time a windowsill is going to be a good form of dormancy is if the windowsill is incredibly bad at insulating temps from the outdoors... it'd basically have to be an open window in order for dormancy to work there...

I disagree . . .

My south-facing windowsill flytraps in California managed to go through their dormancy periods -- right down to the ugly little "winter rosettes" for years without a hitch and still do. The photo below is of just such a plant.

I truly believe that the temperature card is being overplayed -- and that a changing photoperiod with the passage of the seasons also plays a significant role in triggering dormancy . . .

Dionaea muscipula "Typical"
DM3.jpg

He said he might order from andy, which of course we all know, are not seedlings and are mature plants that are able to skip dormacy. Temp is not the only thing to induces dormacy; photoperiod also does the trick as well. It just depends on your window. Also, the tempurature in winter and fall decrease fairly more than summer, does it not? Tempurature would decrease in your home unless you have a heater (which no one can afford to keep on 24/7/90), therefore, inducing dormacy.

Good Luck!

Halt,
im not quite following you on a few things..

and are mature plants that are able to skip dormacy.

ABLE to skip dormancy is an opinion..not a fact.
its still not a good idea to skip dormancy if you can avoid it..

Also, the tempurature in winter and fall decrease fairly more than summer, does it not? Tempurature would decrease in your home unless you have a heater (which no one can afford to keep on 24/7/90), therefore, inducing dormacy.

I see you are from California..maybe you dont often need to use a furnace/heater in the autumn and winter?
interesting..
if so, you are in a very small minority..

for the majority of the USA, except perhaps Florida, southern California and parts of Arizona,
the temerature does not decrease in the autumn indoors..the furnace starts up in September..
indoors goes something like this:

January - 70 degrees
February - 70 degrees
March - 70 degrees
April - 70 degrees
May - 70 degrees
June - 70 degrees
July - 80 degrees
August - 80 degrees (turn on the AC if warmer than 85)
September - 70 degrees
October - 70 degrees
November - 70 degrees
December - 70 degrees

the furnace runs every day for 5 months for at least half the USA..and definatly all of Canada.

most people dont leave their windows open in September as temps fall into the 50's and 40's..
I dont know many people who enjoy a 40 degree living room..

thats why an indoor plant, in a terrarium, doesnt get the decreasing fall temps..because its INSIDE! ;) thats the whole point of this entire discussion..

yes, you also need decreasing photoperiod..which in theory can be achieved for an indoor plant on a wndowsill...but you need decreasing photoperiod AND decreasing temps..

decreasing photoperiod, by itself, isnt enough if the plant is at 70 degrees year-round..

Scot

:blush:Yea no one follows me; english is my 3rd language

Back