What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to nepenthes

• Thread starter gar1948
  • Start date
Can anyone help me identify this plant I just purchased? What care does it need. Thanks so much.
nepenthes.jpg

Hard to say for sure without some more mature pitchers but if it came from a non specialized source it it most likely a ventrata, ventricosa, or miranda. Some general care for nepenthes is to make sure they get at least a few hours of direct sun every day and are kept moist without keeping them constantly standing in water. Humidity should be above at least 30% for consistent pitchers. Pitchering is determined by light, temperature, and then humidity. The factors are listed in terms of overall importance.

Hard to say but based on the size comparison of other things in the photo as well as leaf shape and pitcher shape it could be a very very young rafflesiana or hookeriana considering the no petiole or hybrid of their cousins, do you know where you got it from? What are your conditions? Media? Water? Try to list its environment and care you give it as well as size comparison to your hand and its source.

Last edited:
thank you

Hard to say for sure without some more mature pitchers but if it came from a non specialized source it it most likely a ventrata, ventricosa, or miranda. Some general care for nepenthes is to make sure they get at least a few hours of direct sun every day and are kept moist without keeping them constantly standing in water. Humidity should be above at least 30% for consistent pitchers. Pitchering is determined by light, temperature, and then humidity. The factors are listed in terms of overall importance.

thanks for the info, much appreciated

thank you

Hard to say but based on the size comparison of other things in the photo as well as leaf shape and pitcher shape it could be a very very young rafflesiana or hookeriana considering the no petiole or hybrid of their cousins, do you know where you got it from? What are your conditions? Media? Water? Try to list its environment and care you give it as well as size comparison to your hand and its source.

Purchased from local nursery. They were unable to identify. In 2" pot as purchased. I will be away for 2 weeks so will keep it in an empty 2 gal fish tank with lid on it to keep it humid while away. Hope that will keep it alive until my return. Here is a closeup of the pitcher and leaves. any additional advise would be appereciated.new plant pitcher.jpgnew plant.jpg

Like as already noted, too young to be absolutely positive, but x hookeriana is a definite possibility (not pure raff, but I can see peristome ribs and some young pitcher shape reminiscent of that species, as well as the common brownish red new leaf blush). To do well it's going to need lots of warmth, the equivalent of 4 hours of diffused direct sun per day (all day under strong artificial lighting), and will want fairly high humidity to pitcher well if at all. It will outgrow any tank you might have eventually though, as if it's hookeriana both parents are giants.

As for conditions it appears to be a low lander but until the true identity of the plant is discovered keep it in intermediate conditions, so day temps (sorry if you use Celsius) day is 80 (preferred max) 70 preferred low and night 70 (preferred max) and 60 (preferred low)

For reference lowland is 90-75 day 75 65 night
Highland is 70-60 day 60-55 night

Humidity
Should be above 60 for fastest growth and pitcher production (almost always)
Humidity can be from 35 up but slower growth and pitchers dont always swell misting can counteract this
Below that misting is required

Media use 1 to 1 long fibered spphagnum and perlite (long fibered gets roots stuck in it so when unpotting roots will be broken you should use milledsphagnum) i've had bad experiences with the roots of nepenthes they rot really easily.

Water use distilled ro or rainwater can use gutter water if recently cleaned typically 60 -10 ppm

Light i use indoor lighting because my house is a shade house my lighting is dim i use 2 foot undercabinet fluorescent lights and a 2 foot blue red bar led light i also use daylight led bulbs from home depot 12 -16 hrs a day with little light and less with stronger light

Typically you'll get around aleaf a week to month with fast growing species bug with sliwer ones like aristolochioides around aleaf per 2 months average

https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/nepenthes-hookeriana-t33434.html

Last edited:
do you have any new photos? I am curious now :-O

Back