What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i bought this Nepenthes yesterday, and would like some tips and tricks on how to grow it well.http://i.imgur.com/zUUZn97.jpg
I currently grow Darlingtonia, Dionaea, Drosera, and Sarracenia but this is my first Nepenthes. I Got it from a Big box home improvement store. I know they need bright indirect light, to stay constantly moist but not waterlogged, no fertilizer, and to use only rain, or purified water. Should I take the humidity dome off completely and let it acclimate or should I do it gradually over a period of a couple weeks. I Would also appreciate an ID if at all possible. Thanks for your time.

Stick it in a windowsill that gets a couple hours of direct sun (no direct sun until the dome is off though.) Water it every couple days until water runs out the bottom but don't let it sit in standing water for extended periods of time. Nepenthes can actually handle significantly harder water than most CPs so you should be fine with tap unless your water is really bad - you can check your approximate water quality with this map: Total Dissolved Solids As for the dome, take it off but you should be safe doing it in a week or even less.

As for an ID, I think the plant will probably need to grow a bit more and get some more color (more light!) before we can say for sure, but big box stores only stock a limited number of species and varieties. From the current shape of the pitchers I would guess it's Nepenthes x ventrata, but it will be easier to tell in the future.

Nimbulan is spot in with his advice. One thing you might want to do is take a small sample of the soil that the plant is in. I know that nepenthes from garden centers sometimes come potted in peat instead of moss. If that's the case for yours then you will want to be slightly more careful with watering as peat mixes will be less airy than one with moss and could more easily harm your plant. I agree that it is most likely N. x ventrata. After it grows for a few months you should be able more easily rule out what it isn't. I know that N. x ventrata, ventricosa, and miranda are all sold at garden centers but all are easily distinguishable when mature.

Thank you both for your advice! I put it in a southeast facing window that I've had good luck growing orchids in. I haven't checked our water quality but I will. I haven't really looked to closely at the soil but it does seem to be pretty airy. I Can't wait to find out what variety I have, I'm just glad I found one in such good condition, their fly traps and Purpurea were pretty poor looking.

Since Nepenthes care is more similar to regular houseplants (And they often don't come in death cubes,) the big box stores tend to keep them healthier compared to other CPs. The ones I've seen are generally a bit bigger and in hanging pots.

Yeah this one was in a death cube, I would love to find one in a hanging basket though. I Wasn't planning on getting into Nepenthes for a year or two since I've killed many a houseplant but I find CP's to be much more interesting than other plants, I've become quite addicted to them. I Checked the soil on my Nepenthes and it's sphagnum moss, not peat.

How did you check it? My death cube nepenthes had a top layer of sphagnum and had peat underneath and I didn't find out until I re-potted the plant. It was kind of funny because it refused to grow roots in the peat, I just pulled out a plant attached to a disc of sphagnum :jester:

It looks like its all sphagnum, I checked the first inch or so, and the pot isn't very deep.

Back