What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stuff! But no new server... yet.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
MAKE SURE TO HOLD CTRL AND SHIFT AND HIT R TO REFRESH YOUR CACHE......

Alright- so since I did the dry run a few weeks ago (and it went flawlessly) and last night, my host has decided to mandate we can no longer use mysql4.0 and must now use 5.0... No big deal since there is no extra method to making a back up on the old server, going to the new server, and putting the back up there.... Except for some reason, I'm getting a permission error... Tech support didn't know the reason either, so they escalated my case to the Sr. techs... Except there are not many of them on the weekends apparently. So after after many hours and still no one even looking at it, I decided to go ahead and update the forum software on the old server (just so it's done) and move everything later. My plan was to move it, and do all the changes then...

So as of now I have:
* updated the version of the forum software.
*re added the hacks that we all love that you probably don't even know are hacks (spaces between categories, separating sticky posts from not, (still need to do the force signatures to bottom...)
*updated the hacks you know about and love (chatbox, check for post before post etc)
*updated the advertising hack (i don't like the position of the one between the chatbox and forums, so I'm trying to find out how to move it back above the chatbox...)
*implemented the new skin that Vraev helped me make (thanks for the new banner :) now make me one for the store huh? hehe)

That's all I can think of but there may be more... So, this means the forum will go back down once the permissions thing is fixed to move to the new server, that should be shorter than this outage though.

I will accept the first 3 hate replies.. all others will be banned immediately :boogie: :-)) Feel free to praise away though! LOL Seriously though, let me know if you see anything that may be wrong or whatever... Like if you can see the mod forums or something :crazy:

Andrew

Edit/ps It was fun watching all the people that kept coming to the away page ALL DAY to see when it would be back up... Didn't any of you take my advice and go do something? LOL

Last edited:
The new site & logo icon looks great Andrew! Did you draw / design it or hire someone to do it?

Yeah, I actually did something today, I built a pair of reflectors out of aluminum flashing and set up a couple miniature cacti & succulent shelves (the venusian Mesembs I like best). I kept trying to log on here as an excuse to take a break but you didn't put the site back up til I was done! lol! :nono:

Right now the cacti / succulents occupy both shelves but once I pick up a couple 10G aquariums the lower (cooler) shelf will have miniature CPs / orchids / etc and the cacti will all go up top.
It's good to be a plant nut again! :banana2:

This is a pretty nice skin for the forums. I like it!

But... no new smiley faces?

swords- glad to hear ya got something done! hehe

vraev did the logo for me from a VFT picture :)

jeff- thanks! feel free to post similes you would like added and I'll check them out. ;) but I'm not gonna go out hunting for more right now :p

Whoa, the site is different!

I'd say the best ones I've ever seen are on the insektenfang forums... how would I post them? Just pm them to ya, etc.?

BTW, your nelumbifolia division is flowering...

You can post or PM me the URLs of them and I'll check it out :)

Sweet! I've been trying to make more of what I thought you would want.. but so far not any luck with them :(

I can't remember... what did I say I wanted? Lol.

Utrics, genliseas, nontemperate pitcherplants not on my list etc. Please let me know what you're thinking of trading.

Lovin' the new layout Andrew!!!

looks professional. its a little laggy though. the new server should help that yeah? Overall very nice!

The default font is too small and close together, makes it hard to read. I'm using Firefox with font size set to normal.

I like the orange and green. I also like the PM reply box that's ready to go with a reply.

Woah! I love the new forum, and the TF VFT up there is cool too. Is something noticeable supposed to happen when I hold CTRL and shift and press R? I did it and the page didn't refresh or anything.

The font style is taking a bit of getting use to but I REALLY like the new logo. Looks like it belongs on a Nature Conservancy letterhead or something like that. Terra forum t-shirts! :)

Just wondering, what does it mean when the name of a thread is blue?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Terraforums t-shirts? -- has been discussed :)

blue thread? -- no idea? where? are you on the green/orange skin?

CTRL+ALT push R ? It should hard refresh your browser to make sure it completely updates all the new information and everything displays correctly.

Andrew

Thread Titles are highlighted teal because that means you've click on the thread an viewed it.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I guess it is because I clicked on it. I must've clicked on the arrow next to the name for the newest posts.

It will revert to 'blue' after a while, after viweing the topic.

I love it. I think it is dynamite.

xvart.

Back