What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sarracenia coming Monday!!

Got a new pitcher plant coming Monday, one most may not have heard of, at least I know I haven't. It's called S. x 'purple people eater, an unknown hybrid. The site I am getting it from had this to say about it.

"This exceptional hybrid was produced by us many years ago. A customer (John Rizzi) who bought one returned to us a division of his plant, but he lost the name tag and we don't know what the lineage of this plant is. It is so impressive that the University of California at Berkeley took samples for their herbarium even though the lineage is unknown! It produces large pitchers nearly two feet high, and the flared hood strongly suggests that S. purpurea is part of its parentage. While this plant won't exactly eat people, it is certainly one of the most purple/reddish plants in our collection! A photo will soon follow.

Couldn't find any pictures of it or much info on Google, but I am very excited to get it!! Anyone heard of it or have any info on it? It seems to be pretty rare from what I've seen.

Only heard of it through the website.
Please post pics tomorrow.

Will do, I'm so excited to get it and see what it looks like!

It should be here today! Can't wait to see it!

It should be here today! Can't wait to see it!

Didn't come today :( It was shipped via USPS priority mail on Friday, so I would have thought it would arrive today, but it didn't come in the mail :-( Hopefully it comes tomorrow though I am dying to see it!

I am too... hopefully it does come tomorrow. That nursery ships fast.

I am too... hopefully it does come tomorrow. That nursery ships fast.

Yeah it shipped Friday evening but since I'm on the East coast it might be taking longer. Usually stuff shipped on a Saturday morning arrives most anywhere in the US by Monday, but apparently it needs an extra day to get here. Just as long as the plants are healthy and all I don't mind. I couldn't find any pictures of it so I have no clue what it will look like which is what is so exciting for me.

Did it come today?

Yep I'm about to go get some pictures of it too! It was a division so the plant is somewhat small, but its beautiful!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

It's cloudy here so the pictures were a little dark, but you get the general idea. I can see it has some purpurea in it for sure, and some leuco in it also I think.

P1080697.JPG

P1080698.JPG

P1080697.JPG

Wow. Nice coloration and nice big lid. It will be interesting to see how it develops. -Chris

Sun came out so I took some new pics, just fresh after the rain. This plant looks very promising so far, I really like the coloration and wide lid.

P1080705.JPG

P1080707.JPG

That is very nice!

Any guesses as to the parentage? I know purpurea is in it probably, and leucophylla. Any other ideas?

The very top part of the hood makes me want to say Flava.
I will have to order that sometime!

Nice specimen! I do believe that's already on my want list ;P

I'll post some more pics when I get some more pitchers to form, it has a new one coming up right now. It's very healthy too, I put it in a 6 inch pot so it should grow fast and have lots of root room!

Back