What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW Pinguicula hybrid...

Hello Friends,

Well, after a year and a half of waiting and keeping my fingers crossed, I'm pleased to introduce to you my new Pinguicula hybrid; P. macrophylla X P. AnPa D. or soon to be called "P. X Cherri Baby" :)

And....here she is!

651697350_Zeso9-X2.jpg

And for the sake of easy comparison, here's the parents in smaller photo size;

The flower of P. AnPa D;
651697396_8rtSW-L.jpg

651697427_cxpDs-XL.jpg

Here's the leaves and rosette of P. AnPa D. Notice the dark reddish "cherry" tint;
651697329_x8r7o-XL.jpg

Next, introducing P. macrophylla;

651697389_scJbe-XL.jpg

Leaves and rosette of P. macrophylla;
651697343_2KhKj-XL.jpg

And last but not least, The leaves, flowers and rosette of the hybrid! The "cherry" tint to the leaves is passed from the P. AnPa D parent. Also, both parental traits are clearly visable in the hybrid's flower and leaf shape...
651697307_kBUJ4-XL.jpg

651697454_HKkW3-XL.jpg

651759791_DRJTG-X2.jpg

Happy Growing,

Brian.

very cool hybrid. :)

I like it! :-O

If my P. macrophylla looked liked that, I'd be really content.

Congratulations, thats no small task. :)

Beautiful! Good job!

Very nice hybrid! I have been unsuccessful every time I have tried to pollinate Pinguicula. I'm not sure if it's due to the age of the flower or if I simply don't know where to put the pollen (perhaps both?). I've looked around on the internet for images and explanations on how to pollinate; it seems like the pictures I've found of the petals removed to show the parts just don't look like my flowers with same petals removed. Do you think you could maybe explain this process to me, or maybe show a detailed picture on where the pollen is supposed to go?

Thanks,
Crystal

Crystal, which species have you tried to cross? The locations of the 'bits' can differ a little!

Hey Jim,

So I've seen. I've tried crossing P. gypsicola with P. moctezumae, selfing P. moctezumae, Crossing P. x Titan with P. weser. They just don't like me :).

I have tried crossing some of my pings a few times with no results.
I wish there was a more detailed write up with good macro shots of the flower parts and how to pollinate. I have tried the sharp toothpick method with many flowers of different ages.

Thanks Everyone!

We don't need any new "Pig" hybrids out there! :)

Actually, I may have to make a video on Pinguicula pollination, since little info does exist. ;)

Happy Growing,

Brian.

I found these

attachment.jpg

zdrthf.jpg

Hello Friends,

Alas!

Finally some definitive flower characteristics that clearly show influences from both plants involved in the hybrid cross;

731465351_wwsa2-XL.jpg

This flower is strongly influenced by the Pinguicula 'AnPa D' parent;

731465357_q9AWx-XL.jpg

And this one leans strongly towards the Pinguicula macrophyllaparent;

731465377_kYgb5-XL.jpg

Also, the leaves are still retaining their light cherry-tinted margins (P. AnPa D) and the extreme width of the P. macrophylla parent.

731465387_X5Wok-XL.jpg

Happy Growing....and Holidays to All,

Brian.

Gotta love those purple splotches! Congrats on the awesome cross.

Back