What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Photo Contest- Drosophyllum lusitanicum seeds for the 5 best pictures

I'm telling you...it's too bad we can't publish a book of these photos. They are just awesome.

Well I'm tossing in another just because I have one more chance left but it's not even close to the caliber of all these! Good job y'all! I know we are going to see ALL these plants offered in the NASC auction. :-))

Ok...I'm kidding...but in a hopeful way. :rolleyes: lol

That's a gorgeous photo, PAK.

xvart.

Amazing shots everyone. Really, I'm blown away.

Drosera binata. Larger versions can be found here

2727264712_385f543b23.jpg

Spider looking for a free lunch. Since spiders have a very close relationship with CPs, either as prey, competitors, mutualists, or just passers-by, I thought I'd include this picture. This spider is looking down the top of an old, snipped Sarracenia pitcher.

2713878921_f2a45c7b3d.jpg

Spider looking for a free lunch. Since spiders have a very close relationship with CPs, either as prey, competitors, mutualists, or just passers-by, I thought I'd include this picture. This spider is looking down the top of an old, snipped Sarracenia pitcher.

Yeah they do. Check out this shot I got a couple days ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drwurm/3392537263/ *not a submission to the contest*

Can't wait to see who wins! What a hard job picking. Glad I'm not doing it. lol

Thanks to y'all who have had the contests. Makes the give-aways interesting for everybody. :)

What time does the contest end today, or has it ended already?

I guess we will go until midnight MST tonight. Then I will try and pick my favorites tomorrow, but that might be tuff because of the quality of images entered.

-Jeremiah-

Thanks alot for this Jeremiah, wow alot of very nice photos were entered :D good luck everyone!

Will enter this quickly

N x Mixta
DSC01653.jpg

That's awesome, Jimmy. xD I bet some people must've freaked out...

I'm just entering for fun, I don't want the seeds. Here they are, yay:
Sanguinea.
SN853327.jpg

Atlanta Botanical Garden's N. maxima.
SN853188.jpg

Can't compete with the photos being posted - these contests are really bringing out some great images! - but it's a nice time to share...

D. ordensis colors ...
ordensiscolors.jpg

A confused D. falconeri ...
falconericonfusion.jpg

Well guys as you can imagine it was very tuff to narrow it down to just 5 images but here are my favorite from 5th to 1st.

5th Place
Cmm889 “Face Eater”
Even those the image itself is not as sharp as some the composition and feel more then make up for it.
Picture2.jpg

4th Place
CPlantaholic Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin'
A perfect D. rotundifolia everything is sharp and vibrant with lots of dew.
rotundifolia_Charles_Darwin_hi.jpg

Rco911
3rd Place
S. leucophylla "Purple Lips" x flava var. ornata,
It is a beautifully grow plant expertly composed. I’m sure a lot of you know just how hard it is to get such a great shoot of a cultivated Sarracenia.
3394557228_cd5989fa5a_b.jpg

2nd Place
Crissytal "Tribal Gathering"
This photo honestly looks like something you might see in an art gallery, defiantly something I would like hanging on my wall.
ceph.jpg

1St place
Larry Drosera
Wow, the lighting is awesome, a perfectly executed shoot.
3399514092_1f0164693f_o.jpg

Well those were my personal favorites but I would love to hear which you guys think are the best.

If the top three winner would post what bonus seed they would like and send a SASE to…

Jeremiah Harris
712 Columbia Rd
Colorado Springs CO 80904

Thanks to all who participated it is definitely something I would like to do again.
-Jeremiah-

Congrats to all the winners :) :gj:

Thanks Jeremiah!

We had such a great turnout for this one, it was pretty intense competition, I dont think anyone felt all that confident considering the really competitive photo's that were posted.

Good job to everyone who submitted there are some really spectacular photographs on this thread :)

I'd pick out 5 that I really liked the most but man I dont even wanna have to try to figure that out...

Thanks again everyone!
Chris

Thank you Jeremiah!! I've never won anything in my life lol. The Roridula gorgonias are cool, but I don't think I have a chance at growing them. My choice will be U. nelumbifolia. I don't mind the wait.

Thanks again Jeremiah.

I want to thank everyone that submitted photos. Such beautiful plants, and congrats to everyone!

Crystal

Congrats to the winners! I must agree that they are all absolutely phenomenal!

Thanks for the contest, Jeremiah!

Congrats everyone, and thank you Jeremiah! We appreciate it!!
All the photos submitted were awesome! So much talent out there -- and just phenomonal beautiful plants! I love it! Thanks again!

Oooh, I won! :D Thanks Jeremiah! I would love the Roridula seeds.

If anybody's curious, this is a photo of D. nitidula ssp. allanostigma x D. ericksoniae
It was taken in full sunlight, I "photostacked" about 5 images using CombineZ to get the increased depth of field.

Good job everyone!

Larry- I knew that photo wasn't "natural" lol it was just too dang good! I took both of mine in my green house, at night-- which is only lit by 3 shop light fixtures way up in the rafters LOL And I didn't use photoshop or anything to modify it-- I was going for the all natural look :p and if you were a bug in a field of D. capensis.. It would look just like that, darkness... and only a part of it would be in focus (whichever part you were looking at) I get a little afraid every time I move one of my applications and all that stickyness is staring at me. :p
Andrew

It would have looked like that whether I photostacked it or not. Photostacking just gives you more depth of field. I have wood slats on my deck, the sun shines through that illuminating just the plant, everything else was in shadows. I also backlit the plant with an external flash.

Back