What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cichlid tank setup

They are so nice and eating is always a good sign!! Great job :)

Hey, I thought it was a _cichlid_ tank. I see zebra danio and corydoras catfish there!

.... I want my money back!

LOL, the danio was a rescue from a friend.... gotta have corys, they are clean up crew :)

and don't worry, I'll refund what you paid mate, ;-)

They are so nice and eating is always a good sign!! Great job :)

Thx Fav, I acclimated using the drip method.... I hope that is still the method of choice, Im sort of out of the loop on any current trends.
As far as I can tell, they all are eating and no signs of any issues (knock on wood)

Last edited:
@av8: a common misconception is to think of corys as an actual cleanup crew-- while they are scavengers, they do need food as much as the fish next door and cannot depend merely on scraps to get by.

and you're still in the know, drip method is still by far the superior choice for acclimating fish. :)

@av8: a common misconception is to think of corys as an actual cleanup crew-- while they are scavengers, they do need food as much as the fish next door and cannot depend merely on scraps to get by.

and you're still in the know, drip method is still by far the superior choice for acclimating fish. :)

Cool, and yeah... mine get plenty to eat, they are growing like lil piglets in the new tank

Two of them (Bolivian Rams) have paired off and are now building a nest.... (digging out a shallow depression in the gravel and keeping all the other fish away)

Very cool, didnt expect this to happen so soon :)

wohoo! I love when that happens* I can sit for hours looking at how meticulous & territorial they get :) congrats they are so much fun to watch...

congrads..will we soon be seeing cichlids on the trade list?

sweetness. waste no time at all! you must be doing something right!

Pics or it didn't happen. :-))

(Congrats btw - gotta love when stuff like this happens!) :banana2:

@Chibae, well, I imagine we will be hearing about either a bunch of baby chichlids for trade, or a nice fresh sushi dinner... :-O

But really, awesome stuff Butch, I as well want to see pics!

A point and click flash image of the alpha male telling the others to back off lol and one of the tank.
bolivian_daddy.jpg

ram_tank.jpg

Cheesey flash image makes the rock feature look much more prominent than it really is.
In real life it looks much more realistic.

Both taken a few mins ago

I will try to get some quality pics over the weekend :)

Last edited:
images of the couple...

IMG_4483.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

thanks for looking,
Av

Oh my! Absolutely beautiful Av!! They sure have colored up nicely :D.

yessssssss they have, im very pleased with their progress
and thanks crissy :-O

The one on the right in the second looks like a very cheeky male. Tis the necessary evil concerning cichlids... Need at least 5-6 to make one or two pairs. So hard to distinguish males and females with cichlids except through directly inspecting the nads. Video is awesome as well. It might be wise to remove any remaining conspecifics from the tank. Too many rivals would mean stressed out parents. Especially if first time breeders, they will cull their own eggs before allowing other rivals to predate them.

yeah, im going to "thin the herd" once they all have a chance to pair up.... they seem to just now be maturing to that point.
Im not sure yet, but I think i have 3 males and 4 females.... with 2 pairs bonded already, ummm I think LOL

Right now it's way too much work with so many in such a small tank.... Im doing partial water changes every 2-3 days to keep Nitrate levels below 10ppm

Good looking tank!

they are so happy! :)

Back