What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new born Trichocerus help

I went and ordered seed of every species of Trichocerus that I could find: T. bridgesii, T. peruvianus, T. pachanoi, T. macrogonus, T. candida or candicans and several others I can't recall off the top of my head. A number of them have germinated now, all producing what looks like a 1/2" long and 1/16 or 1/8" wide fleshy stalk with two unopened ping leaves at the top.

What's the next step with these guys? Right now they're under a 125W daylight CFL in 75-85% RH as I heard they like it when they are young, Temps are 70-80*F day/night. How often should I water them, when the pots are almost completely dry or sooner? They are planted in 2" seedling jiffy pots ranging in number from 2-5 depending on how many seeds germinated in each. When should they be split up, once they start to look like miniature cacti and are inch tall or so?

I have one red / orange sport of T. bridgesii out of all the seeds which germinated I hope he retains that weird color! :-O

My trichs are all pretty mature, but FWIW... they need more water then most cacti and love to be fed, during the summer I water/feed mine very often... every couple days.

I typically get at least a foot of growth per season.

But during the winter, I dont water but maybe once or twice

good source of info

If ya want some cuttings... hollar, I will see what I can do for ya... Ive got some that are pretty special

HTH's
Butch

I used to grow them. I would keep them humid when they are small and lower the water amount they receive only when they grow a bit around 1/2". Don't need to let the soil to dry. To get good germination i used to cover the pots and keep them warm with strong indirect light...sounds familiar? I would not give them the winter rest in the first year.

Thanks guys, they've inflated now and got tiny hairs ontop (first spines?). I put sand on all the pots to hold them steady and hopefully root better as I had just sprinkled the seed on the soil and put them in a lit rubbermaid to germinate. They hadn't dug down yet so I added the sand. This sand I got at the plant shop is very fine liek sugar or salt crystals, most people on ebay seem to use small pumice. Is that necessary and is this sugar fine sand bad? It already grew algae and looks pretty bad after only a week or two will pumice do that? Any good local place I could look for pumice? On Ebay it's more for shipping the pumice than it is for the pumice!

Back