What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes villosa in vitro started Janurary 2013

a>

Picture won't load, but sounds promising! I'll be following this. :)

That looks so exciting!! I wish you luck in raising the seedlings :) .

This is one of the first batches, started on 20% ms with 1x vits and 3% sucrose, seed were sterilized in 30mg NaDCC in 100 ml distilled h20 + 2 drops of surfactant.

Wow that's awesome! Good germ rate

Thanks, these are actually a bit bigger now and I have quite a few in my "ultra highland grow chamber" that have been deflasked and are doing quite well with a balmy 39 degree F night temp and around 60 degree F day temp. I will be posting more updated pics here soon along with my other micropropagation work.

I am not fully understanding how to post replies within the photo post. Anyway, here are some more villosa seedlings in vitro with their first pitchers showing above the cotyledons, the photo is about a month and a half old now.

put me down for two of them suckers!

Very nice . . .

Why the hurry in deflasking the seedlings? I have found that their survivability is far higher after the production of the first few true leaves . . .

Last edited:
Hm, so soon deprived of the jello? You must like watering the children.

And such dedication, you will be in for the long pathetically slow growth on compost.

@rj: it seems you are already utilizing a code that already embeds an image. manually adding the brackets [ img] and [/img ] are not necessary... as for adding in the image, you simply just paste in the code wherever you like.

the code can be pasted along the same line of text, which will yield this:
7coCy.gif

or you can press enter so that the image is on its own line.
7coCy.gif

awesome progress... i am also curious as to the reason behind removing the seedlings at such an early stage...though your wording sounds like this is normal protocol for you and with reasonable success.

And such dedication, you will be in for the long pathetically slow growth on compost.

How do you really feel, Jen? Get off the fence . . .

How's Saby the mouse enjoying his new digs?

I recall some people doing the reverse to seedlings. However, if there should be 50 hour days and 2 or 3 clones of myself, perhaps the odds would be in favor that one of us would take a liking to watering. Speed. Easibility. Higher success. All sprouts will be forever on jello.

I feel fine. It is nice and snuggly under the blankets.

Saby was trying to escape all day and had to take numerous naps to regroup. And I haven't a clue as to why he wouldn't desire a situation free from worries.

Well Pokie and BigB, I have about 200 seedlins in vitro loving the jello, and about 50 seedlings on compost, and of course the compost is a little more work but the reason for my doing this is they were contaminations and I didn't want to do the rescue replate work, so I just dipped them in a 2% H202 solution for a bit and tossed them on the compost, they are happy, not as happy as the "jello" lovers. It was my being lazy and I was curious what the suirvival rate would be, so far so good. And yes I have found the same to be true BigB that once they produce pichers they tend to do better.

Oh, that explains it. That once happened with a batch of N. lowii seed which had a cyanobacteria issue. In the photos, it appears that there is very little media in the vessels and that the seedlings appeared to be in a "cube" of media in a larger jar. Is that an illusion or had it been divided from another vessel?

If you have any extras i'll trade you something for one. . . :)

New%20Lab%20Photos%20039.JPG

Here is a slightly fuzzy pic of N. villosa, they are getting bigger! They seem to be quite happy with the ultra highland chamber.

New%20Lab%20Photos%20082.JPG

...... and a few more! These were started a little after the previous batch.

New%20Lab%20Photos%20053.JPG

Here is a fun new species that I am growing in vitro for a private grower.

New%20Lab%20Photos%20063.JPG

And some of my favorite little guys, Darlingtonia. For some reason in the past I had a lot of trouble with these guys, I believe it was contamination issues, even in compost I couldn't get them to get too much further than germination, they would brown and abort. Finally the right media and a little loving vitamins and they seem quite happy.

Sorry about the photos, I will try again here in a minute

ah darn. those links dont work because they are on your computer and not on the internet. best use a photo hosting site such as photobucket or flickr.

Oh man this is torturous :lol: I want to see the pics so bad, so close but so far. I agree with Amp, photobucket and flickr both work well.

Back