What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Ramispina Genting accumulation help

Hi im new to this site and find myself needing help with a issue im having with one of the nepenthes (ramispina genting) i have. It was sent to us in a bag (of course..) and ive been slowly opening the bag since the temps have gotton good, ive been doing it with the other plants we have as well that were humidity was needed during the colder times. Those whom are mostly highlanders and a few low land and intermediate plants seen to be recovering fine with the slowly opening of the bag, this little N. Ramispina genting....not so much. It had a pitcher growing and another one starting to grow and now they are deflated and droopy upon curled up leaves. I mist twice a day on the converted greenhouse/sunporch we use to house our plants to care for and enjoy learning about and growing, so they get good airflow and great light during the day. They have been re-pitchering for the most part so they seem to be happy and well....except for this little ramispina..
This is one of my and the kids favorites so im scared to loose it. This leaf curling has happened before to a N. Gentle that recovered from it with new growth thats fine after i placed it back in the baggy and sealed it again. So i have shut the baggy on the ramispina a little bit hoping its new growth will be better at geyting used to the new life outside of a baggy. Im not sure why this one is having such trouble (??) maybe someone has an idea and a solution to get it out of the baggy and used to its new bag-less life.
it would be pretty difficult to replace any of the plants we have, so im trying evrything i can to hold onto this especially after the hortible winter we had that pretty much cost us more then half of what we had for plants not just CPs byt other unusual and fun plants to learn about and enjoy, though CPs are much harder to get then some other things we have that the we enjoy...so im seeing if anyone can help us out. Thanks, kat

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the forum, unfortunately I can't help with the Nepenthes, but posting a picture of the plant will help others figure out what's wrong with it along with the conditions it's growing in :) (I.e. light, water, medium, temperature)

If the leaves are droopy then it might be root rot. What growing medium that you are using?

It's pretty difficult to say what the problem is without pictures. Could you describe your growing conditions in detail?

Can't figure out how to post pictures without using an html and i don't have a image hosting site to upload pics to copy htmls in here, unless their is another way of attaching pictures here.
No root rot i checked the roots all nepenthes are in pure living red or green spahgnum moss with some peat and perlite added - thank you for the suggestion though :)

I dont kno why it isnt getting used to being outside of the bag by now its been slowly opened more and more little by little and still being misted for about a month and it was fine up until i took it out of the bag by the morning it was very sad loojing:( maybe its fussier then the other nepenthes we have in the program(??) anyone else have a N. Ramispina Genting and experienced similar things when removing it from the humidity bag?

Its still getting around the same humidity as it was in the bag maybe a little less now while i was slowly opening it so it should be pretty used to the outside humidity levels and the drop temp at night... Grrr so fustrating

:0o: oops i think i just burned our poor N.talangensis i forgot to move it off of the sunny table i was using to mist the plants on...ahrg! I cant catch a break...

I guess what i really am asking here is: does anyone have a better way to get my Nepenthes accumulated to outside of the baggy and to my 85-90°F day weather and 55-65°F at night depending on the day of course like the other nepenthes we have here at the program

:welcome: KATastrophe

I 1st thought this thread was for you having too many N. Ramispinas & didn't read it but checked it out later & see that you mean acclimation.

You will not be able to add pictures without either becoming a thank you member or signing up on a free photo hosting website. Its relatively quick & straight forward. Here is a thread with directions: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/104380-Don't-forget-to-add-a-PIC

For your nepenthes, there is no super-speed overnight process to acclimate your plant. The bag method, glass/plastic dome, or tank all serve the same purpose of gradually getting the plant used to a change in its growing conditions over the course of weeks to even months. Poke some holes in the bag & sit back. If you get tired of looking at your plant through a bag (like me) then you can place it in a tank with a nearly closed top or no top if it is half acclimated. I would have dishes of pebbles with water to keep humidity up along with routine misting. I also used glass & acrylic cylinders which really showcase your plant & hold humidity well. Keep in mind that this particular advice is mainly for humidity acclimation which is different from temperature & light intensity acclimation which I've found that good airflow really helps in acclimating to higher temps.

These are all generalizations & a solid diagnosis will only come after pictures and more information. Good luck & growth!

I've never aclimated a nep like that unless its a cutting or something that has been in bag humidity for a long time. I usually just put them right in there.

I've never aclimated a nep like that unless its a cutting or something that has been in bag humidity for a long time. I usually just put them right in there.

Same here if it goes into my terrarium but I take it slow when going from high humidity, tissue culture, seedling, or cuttings to a windowsill plant in very low humidity. All we know is that the plant (whatever size it may be) is in a converted porch sunroom with 85-90F daytime, 55-65F night, & decent airflow. The bag may be doing more harm than good if its already a well established plant.

The "elephant in the room" are your temps. You're attempting to keep HL species far too warm. Ideally, you want day temps of 75-80 with a night drop of 50-55 with humidity at 70% at a bare minimum. There are few HL species that can withstand day temps into the 90's for very long and even 85 is really pushing it for most. Intermediate species or hybrids are far better suited to the conditions you're providing. The leaf curling often signifies a root issue as well.

Also:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accumulate

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acclimate?s=t

Last edited:
Itsonly a baby plant its about 2 to 3in leaf span..well it was until yhey shrivled up and curled.. :(
It was doing fine with the bag completely open for days and i think i jumped the gun on it assuming it was ready and even though i misted it within 2 hours it was a curled up sad looking thing with deflated soft pitchers. Im hoping it will make it like the N. Gentle did.

Yes knuckles my phone has a funny way of changing words that i want to say into words it assumes i want to say lol! But i wish i had a problem like that! To many ramispinas thst would be great! Hahaha. Thank u for yr advice i may try poking holes first then slowly open the bag once it puts out some new growth that isnt fragile.

Our growing area in case your wondering is a greenhouse type sun porch with big double side windows which open to let air flow in, gets plenty of light during the day and afternoon thru different windows. I had slowly opened the bags over some time and placed them in a window that gets partial sun during the day and partial shade as the day goes on. I must have jumped the gun but i looked around on the form and saw someone else having the same problem with their ramispina so maybe they are very fussy at times who knows. But nowvibgot a slightly crispy talangensis i gatta nurse back as well ...ahrg! This is exactly why my name is Katastrophe cause my life can be just that!

the temps i gave are a estimate usually we see nothing above 80° at times in my house as opposed to the sunporch greenhouse is alot cooler then inside but the temps frequently rise and fall day to day in summer usually nothing below 75 unless its night time where 50-55 would be the norm. Winter time is when they come inside cause they wpuld freeze to death with our weather! The other highlanders are healthy and happy except this little guy. I think i jumped the gun and rushed him out of the bag to soon thinking it would be okay like some of the others...bad judgement on my part ..ahrg!
Hopefully it will bounce back in some time, its growth point seems fine putting out its new green stem healthy looking at the moment so i think im gonna let it get some good growth back on it and try to re acclimate it to the sunporch greenhouse again. Thank u for your response :)

Back