What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lately it seems like many of my nepenthes are in a funk. Some continue to grow leaves but have stopped pitchering while others have slowed down all around. Quite a few have spouted basals in the past few months so that might explain some of it. I moved to Texas at the beginning of September so I can understand some stress/slowdown due to the move but I would say much of the slowdown began before the move.

Overall setup: I have my plants zipped up in a mylar grow tent so no natural lighting. Lights hung on the top with a single level of shelves and 4 trays of plants. Below the shelves is a hose that pumps in air from the window A/C unit (recently switched to 'fan only' mode to take advantage of the cooler nights) and an ultrasonic humidifer in a large bucket to humidify the air from the hose.

Lighting: I have 3 4' shop light fixtures (6 bulbs) with T8 florescent bulbs about 8-12" above the plants. These provide about 6500-7000 lux at the plant level. Lights are on for 14 hours a day

Watering: I water with a sprayer 2-3 times a week. Water is usually collected from the window AC unit and measures about 20 TDS. Typically a 1/4th to 1/2 inch of water sits in the bottom of the trays after watering and dries completely between waterings.

Temperature: Temp usually peaks around 76 during the day but has gotten as high as 86. Night low is usually between 52-58, staying below 60 for about 5 hours a night.

Humidity: 50-60% during the day and 80-90% at night.

Soil: Some plants are in LFSM/perlite and others are in coconut husk/charcoal/perlite/small amount of LFSM. Any new plants or plants I repot are going into this 2nd, much chunkier mix.

Tang x Veitchii - growing and pitchering like a weed, even with basal sprouting up
Thorelli x aristo - growing/vining but stopped pitchering. Basal just sprouted so this could be a factor
Camp x maxima - growing like a weed but has stopped pitchering
Inermis x bongso - growing/vining but has never pitchered for me
Spectabilis - growing and pitchering well, basal from a few months ago outgrew the main plant and took over.
Izumae x TM - looks sickly, growth all but stopped
Sib x TM - main growth point looks to be dead, a few basals have popped up and are looking strong
Sib x (spec x aristo) - growing/pitchering well
Veitchii K - growing/pitchering well
Mikeii - growing leaves but not pitchering
Vogelii - growing leaves but not pitchering
Vent x spectabilis - growing leaves but not pitchering
Jamban - growth tip died as basal was coming up, stopped growing and died

The environmental factors seem good based on your information but really hard to tell much without photos of the plants. Generally speaking lack of pitchers is due to insufficient light intensity, but there could be other causes also. Perhaps the air coming through the duct? I would guess it's quite dry when the A/C is running or even if it's just on fan only and pushing dry outside air into the grow chamber. Perhaps some of the plants are being hit more directly with this air before it becomes properly humidified?

Strange... Conditions sound good. Shop lights should provide enough light. Tony pretty much covered it.

Give us pictures of the plants doing the worst, that would help us ID it.

Also don't forget lack of watering will cause nepenthes to drop pitchers, however it doesnt sound like this is the case.

Back