What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes attenboroughii seeds germinated!

two seedlings are making a nice size jump.
sorry for the quality.. twas with my phone and I cropped it
You can see they are starting to have tendrils.. the leaves expand to about twice the size they are now
A9F2EE2F-9445-44F1-A6C3-F38C0B5EAB73-211-0000001582F2546F.jpg

A0419A68-9E33-4989-8C45-4CE6AA6C8414-211-000000158777D1DD.jpg

I see some sprouts Don! They are on par with Jeremiah's, 17 days.

8575981859_fc7b01ec23_z.jpg

Congrats! You sowed some in compost? Looks like mostly sand. I put all mine in vitro for the second round.

50/50 this time. The compost is 1:1 LFS:sand. Others are reporting 90% germination so far, but we a about 3 weeks behind them.

Well, it's good to know that the seeds are still viable after being stored in less than optimal conditions. If it's similar to the last batch, the seeds in vitro should germinate around a month later.

50/50 this time. The compost is 1:1 LFS:sand. Others are reporting 90% germination so far, but we a about 3 weeks behind them.

First sprouts, in vitro, of this recent batch, at twenty-two days -- after ten days in obscurity . . .

BigBella, what you are doing up so late? Good to know that if I messed up there will be some sprouts from this batch in TC. I will have to check my cultures tomorrow. I was late to feed my other babies before leaving...

I've got 24 in my batch that have sprouted.

20130320_205125_zpsf1d364e8.jpg

Just a little tip, Andy Smith, who seems to have had success with this species, recommended two osmocote pellets per seedling and some laterite in the mix.

David I didn't count the number of seeds I was given. But I want to say it was only about 25. I think I may be close to 100%germ. I can't say for sure because I didn't count to begins with. I sewn them and badged them. Then put them out in my HL GH to where they sat and sat.
I then moved them inside under lights when everyone else was having success. All of a sudden I had an explosion of seeds germ. That is the results as of the other day.

were the inside lights brighter than in the GH? Warmer temps?

Temps are warmer inside than the GH. Humidity is the same as they were bagged both places. GH lows are 55. Inside temps maintain around 70 but take into account light warm up. They were in the front of the GH where the light is stronger, I never took light readings so cannot tell for sure. Inside they are 6 inches under t-8 bulbs. With an 18 hr photo period. So I'm sure the light is brighter than the GH.

Here is one vessel and a second image of a small plant, in experimental media, from November . . .

Nepenthes attenboroughii 21 March

ATTEN_zps0527e755.jpg

NEPA-1_zps8110a924.jpg

the one on the left is very promising.
P1150544.jpg

What is your exact soil mix ?

1:1 of sphagnum moss:sand. I place rehydrated sphag in my food processor (minus twigs and other ungodly debris), add a bit of water, and grind until it looks like medium-fine polenta. I mix with washed pool filter sand. I make 2L in a batch and autoclave for 20 mins.

Hey guys three weeks ago I bought some attenboroughii seeds from cz and I'm very glad to report that I've gotten my first germination

I didn't want to start a new thread - today I was plucking moss from one of the seedling pots & took a quick iPhone pic. I'm quite surprised how they are different shades of green.

Back