What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep Lover in Tampa, FL

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been a member since 2002 but it has been ALONG time since I last posted.

My boyfriend and I live in Tampa, FL and we are CP and other plant enthusiasts! I am partial to Neps and he likes vft.

If anyone is in Tampa and knows of a local CP club or local carnivorous plant seller, please let me know!

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hello!

I've been doing the same, joined a while ago, but now have the time to participate again. There is a Florida Carnivorous Plant Society, but they apparently had an issue with an attack on their site, so there's just the FCPS forum right now. I recently moved to Florida, so I've been doing a lot of research on the subject lately, lol, again now that I have the time to participate in those things. We're not allowed to discuss vendors on this site, but there's a lot of nothing CP related in northern FL anyway from what I can gather so far. There's always getting so see them in situ just slightly north and east of you though!

Hey there Taargus!

Thank you for the info! Yes I now too have some downtime as I am on Florida's east coast for work for 2 months! Ah, of course, I should have known regarding vendors, been along time since I thought about the rules. Now my memory has been refreshed!

Do you have any particular CPs that you would recommend that thrive in Florida's brutal summers?

Hey Bubblegirl,

I work in Tampa and Live in St Pete :) I'm a cp enthusiast as well! I grow mostly Nepenthes. Unfortunately there is no vendors here, unless you go to homedepot lol.

Welcome back!

@jimscott - Thank you!

@Favian - Awesome! I'm so glad that another CP enthusiast relatively close to home and it's comforting to know we're not the only ones in the Tampa Bay area! What neps do you grow?

Hey there Taargus!

Thank you for the info! Yes I now too have some downtime as I am on Florida's east coast for work for 2 months! Ah, of course, I should have known regarding vendors, been along time since I thought about the rules. Now my memory has been refreshed!

Do you have any particular CPs that you would recommend that thrive in Florida's brutal summers?

I plan on leaving my lowland and intermediate Nepenthes outside, the lowlands at least should do real well. Tampa you could probably grow some of the hardier intermediates outside all year. I've got all the Neps and Drosera outside right now and everything is pitchering or flowering. When it starts to get real hot I plan on bringing in the Highland Nepenthes, but that's it. I started collecting Sarracenia and Drosera that naturally grows in Florida since I moved. Those with a reduced need for dormancy should do well for you too, easy enough to just leave those outside all year too.

yay!

I grow:

n.singalana x hamata

n.robcantleyi

n. eymaex jacquelinae

n. veitchii bareo (SG) 3 of them

n. first light

n. spathulata x glabrata

n. eymae x ephippiata

n. lowii x truncata

n. ventricosa x Trusmadiensis

d. capensis, heli & a cephi!