What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need suggestions for a terrarium grow light system.

I'm having trouble deciding on what kind of grow lights to use for my terrarium. I made my own custom light fixture housing that is 25.5 inches x 11.5 inches x 2.75 inches and fits on top of the terrarium. I bought a couple of cheap 22 inch Utilitech Grow light fixtures from Lowes but I've had both fixtures fail within two months so I'm returning them.

The terrarium sits by a window and the plants receive sunlight from around 12:30pm until 4:30pm - 8:00pm (depending on time of year) so I set the timer to turn the lights on for two 4 hour periods in early morning and late evening. The terrarium is mostly filled with Nepenthes and a few Drosera and with natural sunlight alone, they seem to do alright. The Drosera are a bit on the green side but they do grow.

That being said, I think they could benefit from having some kind of auxiliary light system to help the plants during cloudy winters. So does anyone here have good recommendations that would work for the situation as I have described?

I've had one person suggest using a blue/red LED system.

I started using 18 watts of blue and red leds (Luxeon ES) over my terrarium, and the plants immediately started to perk up. this is in a 44 gallon terrarium, with bottom dimensions of about 24" x 24" if it was square.
Seriously, you can make a pretty decent grow light for less than $120. Just avoid cool white leds.

I currently am using sunblaze t5's and love them, I have a 48" four bulb set up 12" away from the plants have had it running for about a tear now and have had no problems and my dews are nice and red, some of my neps too! i got it for about 100 bucks so much cheaper than leds
Travis

I currently am using sunblaze t5's and love them, I have a 48" four bulb set up 12" away from the plants have had it running for about a tear now and have had no problems and my dews are nice and red, some of my neps too! i got it for about 100 bucks so much cheaper than leds
Travis

I like T5 too, but IMO you spend a meepton on electricity that way. LEDs are very expensive though if you purchase something like a kessil or commercial fixture with bad leds. If you are up to basic soldering, DIY led arrays are good.

Back