What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Pygmy ID

JB in Utah

Come To The Light. . .
So last year I got these plants from a seller who listed them simply as 'Pygmy Sundew'
I was wondering if I could get an ID so I know I can know the name of this beauty.

Pygmyf.jpg

You have 2 hybrids...maybe 3
omissa x pulchella is the one with pink petals/white stamen
nitidula x pulchella is the one with white petals/red stamen
Is the flower in the center light pink or has the same color as the one at 8 o clock? Too bad they seel it like this.

Thank You Very Much, I also had another question -- is it safe for me to move them to a larger pot? Or should I leave them in this 3" pot to fight for space?

I uploaded another pic with the three flowers, it looks kinda pink but that may be the lighting/flash. I leave it in your hands. These pics are a few months old and I'm never home when the flowers are open anymore.
pygmy1f.jpg

Pygmy Drosera are ultra sensitive to root disturbance. They don't seem to mind crowding like that. Your best bet is to wait until they form gemmae in the winter and start new pots.

Unless you take extreme care to isolate species mixing like this is inevitable, probably the reason why there are so many mis-identified plants going around.

Yeah I figured as much with the pygmies to not move them, I definitely can wait a few months for gemmae.

Thanks

"Pygmy Drosera are ultra sensitive to root disturbance."

In general the tall growing species do mind being disturbed but the rosetted ones don't. I always do it when there is a soil problem...not for overcrowding. The ones that you have you can repot any time you want as long as you make sure the roost stay intact. You don't need to but you can do it if you want to.
The one in the center may be a Carbarup but it's hard to tell from your pic and without a plant photo.

The pink flowered one is Drosera ericksoniae x D. pulchella "Pink Flower Form"
The other flower is Drosera nitidula of some type or hybrid/

Back