What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on a variety of dews

So I have a large amount of Drosera seeds on route to my house. When they arrive I will sprinkle all of them in two big minibogs. However, I wanted to see if anyone can size them up for me because I want to put the tallest and most robust growers towards the center and the smaller less robust one on the outter rim. The list of drosera seeds include: Indica, Venusta, Cappilaris, Intermedia, spatulata, and filliformis Red. If you can put these in size order or give any advice as to the size these plants will get please let me know and thank you.

Put the D. capillaris, D. spatulata and D. venusta in the front (they are the shortest), then the D. indica, and the D. intermedia. The D. filiformis will be the tallest so... maybe put it in the back.

Also you may want to take a look at the growth habit of the D. indica http://www.cpphotofinder.com/drosera-indica-592.html

Temperate species seeds probably need to be damp stratified in the refrigerator unless they are the from tropical/subtropical location populations. You may have gotten away with natural stratification if you had sown the seeds in early winter.

well i was planning on putting the filliformis red in the fridge for 2 months.. but I was told I didn't need to do that for the rest of them?

D. intermedia will need to be stratified. D. capillaris depends on the location. Stratifying will not hurt them. 4 weeks is sufficient.

unless its a tropical form of intermedia and then not only will it be tiny it will not need a cold stratification. might want a warm one.....

Yah, forgot about D. intermedia 'Cuba'

so only stratify filliformis florida red, intermedia, and capillaris? or should I just stratisfy all of them for 4 weeks? also doesn't filliformis need a longer stratification than the others?

Back