What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National mall arboretum

I recently visited the Arboretum at the National Mall. It had an absolutely spectacular collection of plants, most in great shape.

Unfortunately, I managed to find only 3 CPs in the entire collection--a VFT, S.purpurea, and unidentified nepenthes with every single pitcher dead. It would be great if a local CP society would setup and maintained a display there, even if totally voluntary. It would certainly increase public awareness and interest in CPs.....who knows, maybe it would go so far as to sway a politician to propose federal legislation that increases protection of native species. I realize it's wishful thinking, but who knows...

In all, it was a great place. My favorite plants were the 3' tall sago palm, a vanilla orchid, and a TREMENDOUSLY large staghorn fern.

It's pretty bad CP-wise. I go every time I'm wandering the mall. The last time I was there all the CPs were in a really shady area and were getting a lot of humidity but looked like they hadn't been watered in a while. You saw a different set of plants than I did... that may mean bad news for the plants I saw.

I've been wondering if I could just donate a cheap and showy nep to them and if they would listen to me if I suggested where to put it. If it was hanging up in the catwalk area it would probably grow like mad.

I also wish they had some elephant ears. How can you not put the largest undivided leaf on the planet in a place like that? A baby A. robusta is like $20!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If it was hanging up in the catwalk area it would probably grow like mad.

I agree. And they would look quite nice along with the orchids and air plants.

Back