What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC Auction Rules??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two items that had bids at 7:01pm Pacific (10:01pm Eastern

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/2...tus-leaf-pulls-actual-plants-gil_za-43-a.html
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/2...-5-sedum-reflexum-plants-aerogrower-10-a.html

As a recall with the second item I listed Racoon CIty as the winner but when I double checked names, times and amounts I caught my error and immediately corrected this. She may have seen the post just before I made the correct. So what? It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made.

So what? I'm human (though some of my acquaintances may disagree). I make mistakes. Andrew can check this from the forum activity log. In the past the Auction forum would be closed except for moderators so we can triple check each other before announcing the winners. This also keeps someone from jumping the gun and paying before the error can be corrected.

The Auction Forum wasn't closed temporarily to the public this year. I figured Andrew may have forgotten or had better things to do like spend time with his family. He's human too. I could probably find better things to do at prime time on a Saturday night then to volunteer my time for a charity auction. I'm not getting paid for this unless you want to consider my complimentary "Thank You" membership pay (at a whopping $15 per year - a raise from $12 per annum :-D ). NASC doesn't pay me either. I do it because I believe in NASC's mission. I do it because I want to help conserve/preserve these plants. I do it because these auctions are usually a lot of fun. I do it because I find the displays of charity and love for the CP shown by the donors and bidders heart-warming.

This just a charity auction run by volunteers, not professional fund raisers. There are also such things as "house rules". People should look beyond the "trees" (flaws/rules) to see the "forest" (the spirit of charity for the CPs).

Last edited:
Well said NON. I also think failing to live up to your obligations, is far more troubling than arguing over seconds at an auction close. Way to turn something fun into another reason people don't volunteer there time more often. We all should remember what the auction is all about, raising money for the plants we all care about. Thanks for all you moderators do for the NASC.

It's a damn shame when someone forgets what a charity auction is for. I applaud those "winners" who made a donation despite the member's actions. Although I won none of the items I had bid on, I sent a donation in to NASC this week as well.
I agree that looking forward is the way. I'm sure that next year's rules will be made clearer to prevent a repeat misunderstanding.

There are two items that had bids at 7:01pm Pacific (10:01pm Eastern

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/2...tus-leaf-pulls-actual-plants-gil_za-43-a.html
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/2...-5-sedum-reflexum-plants-aerogrower-10-a.html

As a recall with the second item I listed Racoon CIty as the winner but when I double checked names, times and amounts I caught my error and immediately corrected this. She may have seen the post just before I made the correct. So what? It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made.

So what? I'm human (though some of my acquaintances may disagree). I make mistakes. Andrew can check this from the forum activity log. In the past the Auction forum would be closed except for moderators so we can triple check each other before announcing the winners. This also keeps someone from jumping the gun and paying before the error can be corrected.

The Auction Forum wasn't closed temporarily to the public this year. I figured Andrew may have forgotten or had better things to do like spend time with his family. He's human too. I could probably find better things to do at prime time on a Saturday night then to volunteer my time for a charity auction. I'm not getting paid for this unless you want to consider my complimentary "Thank You" membership pay (at a whopping $15 per year - a raise from $12 per annum :-D ). NASC doesn't pay me either. I do it because I believe in NASC's mission. I do it because I want to help conserve/preserve these plants. I do it because these auctions are usually a lot of fun. I do it because I find the displays of charity and love for the CP shown by the donors and bidders heart-warming.

This just a charity auction run by volunteers, not professional fund raisers. There are also such things as "house rules". People should look beyond the "trees" (flaws/rules) to see the "forest" (the spirit of charity for the CPs).

Mistakes I can understand. Blatant lies, I cannot.

The fact that half the NASC has flocked to this thread to publicly bash me speaks volumes about their character. They even pulled this thread from the General Discussions area of TF, moved it to the NASC Auction area and made it a sticky thread to ensure they would have an audience.

I initially wrote them for clarification of the rules, but you guys choose to respond very rudely and claim I wanted the rules bent for me to win.

In fact, I actually told them in private that I was no longer interested in winning the auction because of their attitudes (since that would involve giving money to the NASC). Even after that, they claimed I wanted the rules bent for me.

Even after all of that, you guys privately threatened me in ways that you have zero power (claimed they would have me banned from TerraForums privately).

It is that type of attitude directed towards someone that was just trying to help out and donate that made me realize that you're not worthy of donations. It's 100% the result of your condescending attitudes that I refuse to support it no matter what you threaten me with or how much you try to defame me in public.

You say this about the auction that was initially declared the winner with a 10:01 bid... "It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made."

That is a blatant lie and yet another attempt to try to shame me in public, not to mention extremely condescending considering you try to play it off as my fault (I'm a professional internet marketer and think I know how to refresh a website, thanks). It was a minimum of 35 minutes and likely closer to an hour before the winner of that was changed.

Want proof that they lied? Take a look at this from the person that placed that 10:01 bid.. they acknowledged at 10:34 that they were still declared the winner.

nasc-1001-bid.PNG

Here's a little secret about soliciting donations... don't be rude to those that are doing the donating. I have no problem looking beyond the "trees" to see the "forest", as you put it, but just because it is in the spirit of CPs doesn't mean I have to put my morals aside and allow people to treat me the way you guys have.

Mistakes I can understand. Blatant lies, I cannot.

The fact that half the NASC has flocked to this thread to publicly bash me speaks volumes about their character. They even pulled this thread from the General Discussions area of TF, moved it to the NASC Auction area and made it a sticky thread to ensure they would have an audience.

I moved this thread to the NASC section. The issue at hand is a NASC issue, not TerraForums. I did it wearing my Terraforums hat, not a NASC hat. TerraForums has little to do with NASC policies and rules other than in a technical and administrative role. That was why I felt it the auction section was more appropriate. I also considered merging it with the rules thread. This was an administrative decision.

Terraforums and NASC work together on the Auction to try to fit it in as much as possible to Terraforum's rules and policies and what is or isn't possible or do-able with in the limits of the board software and hardware.

While there is some overlap of administrative personnel such as Terraforum moderators also being NASC board members it is only because Terraforums was in part the birth place of NASC. Terraforums brought together people with a common bond of their love for these plants and wanting to do more than just collecting them or stand by and watch the plants disappear in the natural environment.

Last edited:
There has been no threats made by any member of NASC and as far as I know none from TF either. There were however clear statements of what the penalty is if you choose not to honor your part of the contract that you agreed to. I have all the messages concerning this issue saved, and if you wish they can be made public for all the members here to see who threatened who.

Wow! Thank you SubRosa and Chibae for making donations to NASC in response to this incident, more than making up for the lost revenue. Your support is very much appreciated

Auction closing time

From someone that deals with auctions on a weekly basis I think I can weigh in here. .. the most important thing is an auction closing time... and if there's been this much confusion on the actual closing time either now or in the past the idiots that are running the auction should get their head out their *** and make the closing time very simple so there's absolutely no confusion... if it says it closes at 10 p.m. then that's when it closes.. doesn't close at 10 and 5 seconds after or 20 seconds after as soon as the time Hits 10 it is done... and if you're asking people to donate for your cause you don't belittle them or run their name through the mud or threatened because that is just absolutely childish and the only thing that they should be running is an auction at a lemonade stand... 3b430mom who ever you are and any actions that followed the lack of organization through the Auctioneers I think you are completely Justified and anyone that sticks up for the auction and the confusing rule should line up to work at the lemonade stand...

That's just my opinion... I could be wrong"" but I am not """

- - - Updated - - -

From someone that deals with auctions on a weekly basis I think I can weigh in here. .. the most important thing is an auction closing time... and if there's been this much confusion on the actual closing time either now or in the past the idiots that are running the auction should get their head out their *** and make the closing time very simple so there's absolutely no confusion... if it says it closes at 10 p.m. then that's when it closes.. doesn't close at 10 and 5 seconds after or 20 seconds after as soon as the time Hits 10 it is done... and if you're asking people to donate for your cause you don't belittle them or run their name through the mud or threatened because that is just absolutely childish and the only thing that they should be running is an auction at a lemonade stand... 3b430mom who ever you are and any actions that followed the lack of organization through the Auctioneers I think you are completely Justified and anyone that sticks up for the auction and the confusing rule should line up to work at the lemonade stand...

That's just my opinion... I could be wrong"" but I am not """

3b430mom,
The screen shot you provided from this post: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/2...140713-discussion-requests-8.html#post1196097 only shows when she posted that post. Not what the current state of the "winner" was for that auction. As far as editing the winner of that post, when I saw mention of the wrong person being announced the winner in the chat that night *I* am the one that went in and changed it. I didn't realize the person at the time was saying all the 10:00 times were wrong, I just edited the one at 10:01 that I saw and moved on. Here is a screen shot of my moderator log showing I made that change at 20:03 my time, which is 10:03pm eastern. So no, it was not 35mins or an hour later, it was 3 mins.

Andrew

PS, I'm working on a PM for you.. you should have it soon regarding the other stuff.

To WealthyBigPen
So let's see. You come in as a guest, could be someone hiding their identify, maybe not but ," That's just my opinion... I could be wrong"" but I am not """
You rant about someone being belittled, your word, but then call us idiots and use profanity. Perhaps the lemonade stand would be better served if you use your supposed expertise, we can only take your word for it after all, and auctioned it off.
I might have considered your point, I know you had one, I could see it buried in a rant that you had to post twice, if you had brought it up in a more civil manner. But as things stand WBP I consider your post to be nothing more than a spitball from someone hiding behind a desk in grammer school.

Last edited:
Chibae...will you marry me? Oh wait need to ask the wife.

Sara/guest......Clarity has been made over and over you but you refuse to comprehend. I'm not going over it with you again. You're failure to understand the same rule that has been in effect for a decade, and has been understood by thousands of people who have participated in our auctions over that time, is your shortcomings not ours.

I think you have proven here with your rants, false accusations and insults where the true problem lies with this issue. I refuse to be dragged down to your level. I have issued NASCs statement on this. I have tried to help you see why we did what we did. I have never been rude to you, and it will continue that way. This is the last comment I will make to you or about you on this issue. You are banned for life from all NASC events. Please move on and enjoy your life, as we will move on and continue the work we do to save cp's and cp sites.

You are right about one thing though, the rule will be rewritten for next year. Thank you for showing us what our tiny little oversite in not defining when a minute starts and stops can lead to.

Last edited:
Okay so now I'm getting attacked because a complete stranger decided to agree with me? Just so you know that was not me. But you go on ahead and keep thinking that.

Okay so now I'm getting attacked because a complete stranger decided to agree with me? Just so you know that was not me. But you go on ahead and keep thinking that.

sock meet puppet

Last edited:
I thought I had made the change for some reason Racoon City as well as the double right parentheses stood out as does Firerock for bids at 10:01. But then I've seen dueling edits before when one or more mods were working on the same item.

And it was done within a minute or two.

What matters is the error was caught.

Last edited:
I'm not going to pretend to know show the guest is. But what I do know is it is either someone that has not posted her before, or someone that has posted here before but is trying to hide who they are. Either way it raises suspicions. Surely you can see why people may think it is you or a friend of yours. I've changed the forum permssions to remove guest posting since I don't' think any guests participated this year in the auction anyway.

Off topic but the server seems to be hiccuping today hence the doubled up posts.

Click the post reply button. Long Pause - doubled up post.

Or maybe it's just someone who doesn't want to get attacked by everyone because obviously saying anything to the contrary of Tera forums or nasc admins or board members results in exactly that. The reasons I withdrew the auctions had absolutely nothing to do with losing an auction or the other ones being claimed at 10:01 for an hour which according to that time stamp that was just posted it was changed at 8:03 p.m., not 7:03. Being told that putting up an auction is a binding contract and if I do not fulfill that obligation I will be banned from the nasc auctions in the future, put on a deadbeat list and also that a request would be made for me to get also banned from Tera forums actually is a threat. Especially considering it also says in the rules that failure to complete transactions would result in a ban from the nasc auction and I specifically private message to Tara Forum owner to ask if I would be banned from Tera forums and was told no and that they did not have the authority to threaten that in the first place. I am all for saving carnivorous plants and there are plenty of other organizations that I donate to. However I am not going to be treated like this by anyone and of course I'm going to stand up for myself when I feel like someone is lying about me or trying to defame my character based on this one interaction not knowing anything else about me. Whoever runs Tera forums can go and see the IP address of the person who made that post and then look at my IP address and they will see that we are completely different people. But of course the only conclusion you guys came to was that he is my friend. It couldn't possibly be someone who feels the same way about the situation.

"The reasons I withdrew the auctions had absolutely nothing to do with losing an auction or the other ones being claimed at 10:01 for an hour which according to that time stamp that was just posted it was changed at 8:03 p.m., not 7:03. " Would you explain why you took your listings down and refused to meet your obligation?

Or maybe it's just someone who doesn't want to get attacked by everyone because obviously saying anything to the contrary of Tera forums or nasc admins or board members results in exactly that. The reasons I withdrew the auctions had absolutely nothing to do with losing an auction or the other ones being claimed at 10:01 for an hour which according to that time stamp that was just posted it was changed at 8:03 p.m., not 7:03.

Andrew lives in Arizona. There's a 1 hour time zone difference between the West Coast and Mountain Time zone. The board software displays times according to the time zone setting for each user. The times are saved as GMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back