What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.sibuyanensis growers, what works for you?

A local nursery just got some N. sibuyanensis seedlings in, and I've been interested in getting one to grow myself. I have heard that N. sibuyanensis can be a difficult grower for some, and seems to have specific requirements in terms of media, humidity, and light. I have also heard that it is difficult to make it pitcher consistently. I have a pretty standard intermediate greenhouse environment, 75f days, 55-65f nights and moderate humidity, so I think my conditions should be ok for the most part.

A question to people who have grown N. sibuyanensis successfully, what conditions do you grow your plants in? Do you treat them any differently than other highland Nepenthes?

I grow mine in a terrarium along with some of my other HL plants, I've heard people say it's a fickle plant, but since its settled in I've had no problem with it. It seems to be a pretty steady grower and pitchers pretty consistently. My one issue is that it seems to drop pitchers sooner than most plants, so although it puts out a pitcher on most new leaves, it drops the older ones. I think this might just be a characteristic of the species, but I'm not sure. I'm definitely a fan though!

N. Sibuyanensis was one of my first ever CPs that I grew (received it as a present for my 11th birthday). The plant was never finicky for me and grew very well as a windsill plant in our humid laundry room. I vaguely remember the potting soil consisting of some peat, orchid bark, and a few other ingredients. Aside from that the plant pitchered profusely and didn't mind mild temperature changes.

Mine has been a steady grower, and it has kept the new pitcher for over 3 months now. it's kept hot and humid day temps in the mid 90's with night drops in the 60's. It does like to bury it's pitcher on neighboring pots.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that it's pitchers won't develop unless they're allowed to bury themselves in moss.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that it's pitchers won't develop unless they're allowed to bury themselves in moss.

I have noticed this as well. My plant has only formed pitchers when resting on moss/media. I have read this one likes shade, but I have found the opposite to be true. My plant didn't start pitchering consistently until I moved it into full sun.

Mine actually formed 2 pitchers without burying them. However, said plant is also dead.

Back