What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these conditions good for a Nepenthes x ventrata ?

Hi everyone!
I recently decided to get a Nepenthes x ventrata but before purchasing one I'd like to ask if these living conditions/environment would be good for it ?
- Sunlight during Winter : 2-3 hours direct sunlight, 4-6 hours bright indirect sunlight , 3-5 hours dim sunlight
- Sunlight during Spring/Spring : 4-6 hours direct sunlight, 6-8 hours bright indirect sunlight , 4-5 hours dim sunlight
- Humidity : 50% minimum humidity (usually 55%, very rarely drops below that) , 58-65% average humidity , 75% max humidity (humidity is often between 60% and 70%)
- Temperatures during winter : 13°c to 17°c (55°F to 62°F) during night, 15°c to 25°c (59°F to 77°F) during daytime
- Temperatures during summer : 11°c to 20°c (51°F to 68°F) during night, 20°c to 41°c (68°F to 105°F) during daytime
- Soil mix : 40% peat moss, 40% perlite, 20% pine bark

Also I'd like to ask, are they climbers ? would they run up/climb on a bamboo rod or something which is there for them to climb on ? And if yes what is the best item to give them to climb on ?
Also I know their roots should never sit in water, but it's okay if their tray/plate has some water in it if their roots is above water level ? How long it would take for them to recover from the effects of transport and do I need to give them something special after transport ?
I read a lot about them but I couldn't find an obvious answer to these questions.

Edit : Added temperatures in F° too.

Your environmental conditions are good. Your soil mix, I would switch to 40% orchid bark, 40% perlite, 20% peat. Nepenthes don’t really appreciate wet feet in most circumstances. Most nep growers prefer to grow their plants in equal parts of Long fiber sphagnum, perlite, and orchid bark.

They are climbers, but some people hang their pots and allow the vines to trail also.

Ventrata is an excellent starter plant and can take a good amount of punishment without declining. Don’t let it freeze, and you should be fine.

Your environmental conditions are good. Your soil mix, I would switch to 40% orchid bark, 40% perlite, 20% peat. Nepenthes don’t really appreciate wet feet in most circumstances. Most nep growers prefer to grow their plants in equal parts of Long fiber sphagnum, perlite, and orchid bark.

They are climbers, but some people hang their pots and allow the vines to trail also.

Ventrata is an excellent starter plant and can take a good amount of punishment without declining. Don’t let it freeze, and you should be fine.
Thank you for your help!
The soil should be as airy as possible or it should be somewhat compact too ?
I think I'll go with 40% orchid/pine bark, 40% perlite, 20% peat or something similar since I already has peat and perlite at home and I'm not really sure where I could get LFS, would a higher bark or perlite ratio be optimal ?
Someone recommended 60% pine bark , 20% perlite , 20% peat but it sounds a bit too rough and maybe airy for the roots ?
another one was peat : orchid bark : perlite:lime-free silica sand in 1:1:1:1 ratio which sounds reasonable and I could mix it too but not sure if it'd be a good choice.
Would the 2:2:1 orchid bark : perlite : peat mix work the best among these ? Should I add some lime-free quartz sand into the mix since it prevents soil compaction and help ensuring a more airy soil ?
Sorry if I made too much questions I don't have any experience with Tropical Pitchers and Butterworts and I'm unsure how their soil should look like.

I see, I'm unsure if I could hang a pot for them in my room or other suitable rooms but if I could it'll likely be receiving more sunlight too.

Thank you again, I think I'll manage to keep them happy, so far all of my vfts, sundews, sarras and bladderworts grow happily, I'm very excited about the Ventrata!
Also I forgot to ask since Nepenthes prefer quickly draining soil and not siting in water, does it mean top watering is better to them if the water only contacts their soil ? I also read they like misting unlike Sundews and VFTs is this true in your experience ?

Thank you for your help!
The soil should be as airy as possible or it should be somewhat compact too ?
I think I'll go with 40% orchid/pine bark, 40% perlite, 20% peat or something similar since I already has peat and perlite at home and I'm not really sure where I could get LFS, would a higher bark or perlite ratio be optimal ?
Someone recommended 60% pine bark , 20% perlite , 20% peat but it sounds a bit too rough and maybe airy for the roots ?
another one was peat : orchid bark : perlite:lime-free silica sand in 1:1:1:1 ratio which sounds reasonable and I could mix it too but not sure if it'd be a good choice.
Would the 2:2:1 orchid bark : perlite : peat mix work the best among these ? Should I add some lime-free quartz sand into the mix since it prevents soil compaction and help ensuring a more airy soil ?
Sorry if I made too much questions I don't have any experience with Tropical Pitchers and Butterworts and I'm unsure how their soil should look like.

I see, I'm unsure if I could hang a pot for them in my room or other suitable rooms but if I could it'll likely be receiving more sunlight too.

Thank you again, I think I'll manage to keep them happy, so far all of my vfts, sundews, sarras and bladderworts grow happily, I'm very excited about the Ventrata!
Also I forgot to ask since Nepenthes prefer quickly draining soil and not siting in water, does it mean top watering is better to them if the water only contacts their soil ? I also read they like misting unlike Sundews and VFTs is this true in your experience ?
Misting is fine Neps, however ventrata won’t need too much of it. Pickier highland species will require higher humidity, but the majority of hybrids and intermediate species will do fine in a windowsill setting.

Avoid using sand in nep mixes, it is useless. Neps appreciate airy soil, so avoid compaction. They grow usually on terrestrial cliff sides and epiphytes in the wild, so drainage is needed with most species. Top watering is fine. I just throw my neps in the shower and let it rip.

Back