What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Sanguinea - Repotting

Hi guys,

I've been growing my N. Sanguinea for almost a year now.
For the past couple of weeks, it's been growing rather fast, and the pitchers have gotten larger and larger - in the picture you can see the newest pitcher next to an old one. I'm thinking of moving it to a larger pot soon (when spring arrives). Right now it grows in mostly peat and some perlite, and seems to be happy.
Should I keep it in the same kind of media, or should I try something else, more airy?

NepenthesSanguineaFeb2010-1.jpg

Thanks,

Shimi

Wow that's a nice sang! I don't think I've ever heard of someone keeping it in peat and perlite, but if it's growing well in the mix and the roots look OK, then I don't see why you should move to a different mix.

I agree that is a beautiful sang. I used to grow my neps in peat and perlite, and they did just fine in that mix. However, I switched to a LFS, orchid bark, and perlite mix because it was easier to maintain. I found that the peat and perlite medium tended to degrade more quickly than the other mixes and thus it required more frequent repotting.

-Hermes.

If it's not broken don't fix it!
There is nothing wrong with that mix if you know what you are doing. Using complicated mixes will not always work better than the plain old simple ones like peat/perlite or LFS for most species...just in some people heads.

In my experience, sanguinea dislikes repotting and gets the annoying "little lid syndrome" for months. I say that that plant won't need repotting for a long while.

mark.ca said:
If it's not broken don't fix it!

Indeed. :)

Thanks all for the replies.

Clue - why do you think it wouldn't need repotting anytime soon?

Back