What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rafflesiana... uppers!

ugh...

is this gonna turn into another huge debate thing that everyone gets "flamed" in?

i.e. how to sprout nepenthes seeds awhile back with Phission and someone else?

cant we just grow up and move on? we told him it's wrong for being mean to glider, now leave it alone.

UGH- here I thought a lot of people had interest in my pictures... Guess not. Garren has been warned before, and has now been given some infraction points. If he keeps it it, he will be banned. Now move on with the topic... There is a good chance ALL these posts not relating specifically to my topic will be removed soon. Just so you all know. Please stay on topic now.
Andrew

mmm...

yea that is right we are moving on tematic from the pictures of your plant to understand the psychological motivations of Garren to annoy glider14, and the spelling issues.

I really hope my get as big as yours... I love the contrast of colors and organic patterns on the pitchers.

I really hope my get as big as yours... I love the contrast of colors and organic patterns on the pitchers.

I definitely agree. I have a regular Raff and two elongatas, and they are growing at an incredible rate. I did not realize how fast this plant grows. It seems like the pitchers are inflating faster than any of my other plants.

my raff was slow...i was trying to adjust it to lower humidity... :( but that didnt work. now its inside a terrarium and growing faster(and producing a pitcher) but is still kinda slow.

Alex

How hard are they to grow ?
I could setup a large setup using coragated polycarb then for the front plexi.
Do they like lots of light like a ton ? Or a lower amount ? I know heat should be like 90 f. Am I crazy or would that thing outgrow a 10 gallon aqurium ? Could I just lop it back every once in a while ? I have some experience setting up a terrium for drosera but I heard lowlanders like less light.
Maybe you could point me to a lowlander setup thread ?

Raff is not a good terrarium plant long term. The only lowlander I can think of off the top of my head that is a good terrarium plant (thats in cultivation) is bellii. Raff leaves eventually get pretty huge.

I give all my neps the strongest (fluorescent) light they can stand.

bellii forms / hibrids would definatly work. I have a few and they stay really small...

My neps iare under sheltered sun from the top (layer or shade cloth) BUT the sides are not shaded at all so it gets plenty of light from the sides and the wall it is against is the north east.. so it gets lots of direct evening sun too.

Last edited:
Sorry

great...hes back. and its concocted...sheesh

Alex

EDIT: just now read Neps post. agreed. you dont trash on anyone else but me.

Great, he's back. And it is concocted, sheesh.

Alex.

Hello,

You just need to learn not to blurt things out, newbies need to learn and I am just trying to teach you good habits. I wish Phissionkorps would follow suit.

Garren @ Embaressed for this mess.

What kind of flourescent lights do you guys use for your lowlanders? Also, what wattage etc?

When I grew lowlanders, I had them under 2 shop light ballast fixtures. Each fixture had 2 different tube, 1 "warm" and 1 "cool" fluorescent tube. That mix seemed to work great.

Very nice. Does this plant produce that type of pitcher often?

I have mine under three 4' shoplight fixtures. its about 12,000 lumens. I use 3 diff kinds of bulbs, so I guess theres a decent-ish spectrum in there

I have mine under three 4' shoplight fixtures. its about 12,000 lumens. I use 3 diff kinds of bulbs, so I guess theres a decent-ish spectrum in there

And garren, since you haven't contributed anything...ever...you could be a "newb" for all I know. I've been in the game for a while...

Garren, we'd love to see some of your plants. By the way, it's spelled embarrassed, not embaressed. Notice the A S S when you type embarr A S S ed next time you make another post like that :)

Hey Dandy, what's the red/orange plant that appears to have three growth points? It's on the right in your second set of pics.

Okay,I have 2 17,000 lumen general purpose(warm) bulbs they make my 10 gallon tank super bright, would 2 of them(warm) with 2 cool bulbs in a 20 gallon tank work ? Or maybe a 10 gallon tank with 2 warm 1 cool may work but that would be a crap load of light. The 2 warm bulbs make my tank 75-80F so I guess that is a good thing. But it dries out my tank so I may need a fogger. It takes it down to 50%,so a fogger is a most likely a must.
I could do 2 cool lights 1 warm the warm ones but out much more heat than the cool ones. I could do reflecters on the top of a wooden board then have a small square of glass that would go over the hole to catch the heat.
I could use 2 fans to keep the cone reflecters cool maybe.

Ps Garren show me a pic or growlist or something.

Very nice. Does this plant produce that type of pitcher often?

I've only had the plant 5 months or whatever I said earlier in the post... This is the second of this type (have we decided it is or isn't an upper? lol) of pitcher

Hey Dandy, what's the red/orange plant that appears to have three growth points? It's on the right in your second set of pics.

Oh, come on! Can't you tell? look to the right in the first set of pictures :)

Surely it can't be a ventrata? It looks so compact!

This one:

OH, I thought you meant right next to it, my bad. That is my N. bellii.... Down on the second shelf on the far left I think is the N. bellii hibrid I got from you BTW (speaking of bellii :p)

Back