What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Macfarlanei

Hey everyone!

So I received an order of Nepenthes about three weeks ago consisting of a N. Spectabilis, N. Mikei, and a N. Macfarlanei. Both the N. Spectabilis and N. Mikei are growing great(especially the N. Mikei), but the N. Macfarlanei seems to be slacking. The N. Mikei and N. Macfarlanei were about the same size(around 3 inch diameter), and since the time I got them, the N. Mikei has opened a pitcher that it came with, and grown a whole new pitcher and opened it up, while the N. Macfarlanei has only today decided to open up a pitcher that it shipped with. So my question is, is N. Macfarlanei considered a slow grower, or am I just not providing the right conditions(conditions are a terrarium that all my other highlanders seem to be happy with)?

Thanks for any replies!!!

Zach

You're comparing N. mikei and N. spectabilis to N. macfarlanei. The former two are practically weeds compared to the latter, which is slower growing and prefers higher humidity.

I've had plants take months to do at all, much less open a pitcher, and that is not unusual. It seems to be that you don't have any problems as of now:) N. macfarlanei is an underrated species, and I'll never know why. I much prefer it to a lot of the other peninsular Peninsular Malaysian plants! I really like the long tendrils and the peristome attachment to the operculum.

Clint has it right. I got a N. macfarlanei back in October or November and just this month made it's first pitcher.

xvart.

What Clint said x 2. Three weeks is not very long and it is growing, probably still acclimating. I have kept some Neps that took 18 months to wake up and start growing. The key word is patience. Also consistent conditions/do not move the plant around.

My mac pitchered within 2 months of getting it and has made four pitchers since October . I grow it on a shelf in the windowsill. It pitchered fine with no extra lighting and 30% humidity. I guess I have a different form than you guys or something...

My mac pitchered within 2 months of getting it and has made four pitchers since October . I grow it on a shelf in the windowsill. It pitchered fine with no extra lighting and 30% humidity. I guess I have a different form than you guys or something...

How big is yours? Mine is not tiny, but it is fairly small.

xvart.

Back