What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Lowii Murud Seedlings 10 month progress

About a year or more ago I found the opportunity to finally acquire the Nepenthe species I've wanted since I was younger, N. Lowii. I've always heard about how slow growing Lowii can be but two of them have really been pumping out bigger and bigger leaves! I found that they loooove fluorescent lights, (and some kelp meal in their pitchers).
Below are some pics of their progress from Jan. 2016 to Oct. 2016. I believe I received them around Sept. or Oct. 2015 and they still had their cotyledon leaves. I think I'm going to keep them potted together in hopes that by some luck I'll get a male and a female together. Can't wait to start seeing some spines under those lids!

R7xFwD.jpg

what kelp meal do you use and what kind of lights?

Kelp meal came from eurekaspringsorganics.com, not sure if they're even still in business. It NPK levels on the bag say 0.6 - 0.1 - 1.5. It's mild when it comes to those 3 chemicals but contains a lot of micro-nutrients that are normally overlooked but plants love (I give it to my vegetable plants and house plants too). Lights are nothing fancy, just 4 23watt compact fluorescent bulbs, half cool white and half daylight to hit a wider spectrum of light.

I believe the reputation for N. lowii being an unusually slow grower stems from some common weak tissue culture clones, not a problem with the species itself. Yours are looking great though!

That is a lot of progress. Hopefully they'll pick up in speed even more as they get larger.

20180129 Nlowii.jpg

15 months later... They survived some extreme heat over the summer that scorched a majority of the leaves. Bounced back and time to repot! I'm thinking I want to separate them now. Thinking they'll do better in their own spaces.

Very nice. They look like they've made a good amount of progress in the past year. Good luck going foreward.

Back