What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. khasiana windowsill growing.

I have an N. khasiana ( spelled correct?) that I've had for about 2 months. I am trying to acclimate it to a covered south facing window for some time. It is getting good sunlight and I mist it 4 or 5 times a day. When I got it it had one small pitcher which it dropped in the first week. I expected that. It currently has three leaves that wilted at first but are now fine. It also has a new leaf coming. The problem is that it has been this way for over a month. No new growth, but also nothing dieing/leaves and growing tip nice and green. Its like it is in suspended animation. I have a hygrometer on windowsill and humidity runs from 50-65%, sometimes higher at night. Is there anything I can do to make it wake up and grow? Should I just wait it out or go ahead and put in a terrarium? Any advice would be appreciated. Temps on windowsill are 78-85 daytime, 70-73 nightime. I know that N. khasiana is a highlander but have heard that they grow well as windowsill plants in solid intermediate conditions. Maybe I heard wrong.

Sometimes it just takes a while for Nepenthes to acclimate to certain growing conditions, especially if the transition is rather drastic. Just give it some time; it should probably start growing soon.

Although, you say that the window is covered. How covered is it? Does it have like a thick cloth over it? That may then not be enough light for it.

-Ben

When I say covered, I mean a slight awning that gives some shade late in the day. Other than that it gets fairly good sun from mid morning til late afternoon. I do not think it is a lighting problem. I had a large N. ventrata growing in the same window that had to find a new home due to how large it got. Wonder if might be humidity or temp problems but have been monitoring and everything seems in correct growing range. I don't know??

give it time. even "easy" neps can take some time to readjust. For example, I have a N. x "Blackdragon" that puts out a new pitcher with every leaf... now. When I first got it it sat there for two months with nada. Same story with N. spectabilis. I had the thing like 8 months then it started doing it's thing again.

Misting may or may not really do anything. I have heard both arguments. Really if you are trying to harden off from a humid environment you can't beat a ziplock plastic bag, assuming it is small enough or the bag big enough.

I can't say I have experience with your nep in particular, but from what I understand reading about it as an "easy" plant, just let it be and adjust.

Also, if it seems your x Ventrata grew much faster, most hybrids do for some reason...

I have a khasiana hybrid, and though it's not on a windowsill, it's a pretty hardy plant!

I believe misting doesn't help, because it raises the humidity for such a short period of time, it doesn't make a difference.

My Spectabilis x Ventricosa didn't grow at all for a few weeks when it first was on the sill. Now it's doing much better.

My Ventrata took right off though.

I'd recommend you just wait, as it is most likely just spending more energy growing a nice root system rather than leaves. I've grown N khasiana for a few years now under lowland/intermediate tropical conditions and it grows just fine. In fact, I'm gonna have to plant it in the backyard somewhere soon because it has just outgrown it's 5 gallon pot.

Thanks for all the advise. I know to be patient. This is the first time I've tried this particular species outside of a terrarium and just wanted to be sure.
I know about waiting. Waited for 13 months for my N. "medusa" to come alive. I've been keeping lowland Neps for over twenty years but just started keeping highlanders about 2 years ago. Since N khasiana is a highlander that can be grown as a low/inter and is supposed to be easy. Did not know if I was doing something wrong. Thanks all again.

Back