What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata progression

I received 2 N. hamata clones back in January. As usual, I took some pics soon after I received them. About seven weeks later, I snapped some pics again & was quite happy with their growth (but not necessarily the quality of my pics) :-( Today was another 7-week milestone, so I got out the camera & snapped again. The plants keep pumping out the pitchers - so I'm quite happy. :clap:

This clone (arbitrarily called clone 1) is more photogenic as all the pitchers face the same direction & are roughly growing at the same angle (go figure). I'm trying out the clickable thumbnail option so all three pics are visible at the same time. However, it is a pain so I'm not doing both plants. (...but both plants are included on my growlist in the mini-time progression that I'll attempt to keep updated as the dates arise).

Foolishly, the plant is not shown in the same orientation in the 1st pic (I wish I could go back & correct - but alas ...). The truncated leaf facing to the left in pic 1 is facing up in pic 2 & 3 (although hidden in pic 3). (thumbnails - click to get larger pics)

===================
See post dated 120410 for new pics of adult plants.....

Last edited:
They look happy!

My pitchers aren't that defined yet.

Very nice Ron.
You seem to be branching out. What a great nep to do it with.

Very nice N. hamata. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, that is a huge change for 14 weeks.

wow beautiful! Can't wait for mine!.

That's a highland Nep isn't it? Currently I only have the facilities to grow lowland properly, unfortunately. I haven't even looked into what I need to grow highlands indoors yet.

That's a highland Nep isn't it?

Yes it is

Currently I only have the facilities to grow lowland properly, unfortunately. I haven't even looked into what I need to grow highlands indoors yet.

You would be surprised at what some highlanders can tolerate. While I do not necessarily advocate a beginner trying it, myself and a number of others have N. hamata growing in windowsills.

Something to think on and aspire to :-D

Updated the 1st post with clickable thumbnails from June & August. Pics of the 2nd clone (growing in the moss forest) are in my growlist.

In addition, here's a pic from the left side showing the size progression of pitchers. Penny in the middle for scale (& pot = 2.5" diameter - yes - I need to repot - roots are growing out of the bottom)
Nhamataclone1pitchersize081209RS.jpg

Here's a recent top view... (penny for scale is just to left of lowest pitcher)
Nhamataclone1topRS.jpg

.... & finally a gratuitous shot of the teeth on a newer pitcher (not yet turned black). Even though they are not fully mature, I still enjoy looking at them ...
Teeth1RS.jpg

Colorful and ferocious. :)

Cool, they grow up so fast, don't they? Just 2 months, great work.

Huh, that's pretty fast! The peristomes are already starting to show hints of black, congrats!

So that's the trick..bribe them with money! Great looking nep. Grown under lights?

woah

Ron,

Beautiful plant!

Butch

wtf doood i cant find the penny o.o :D tooo biggg!

Thanks for the kind comments. I originally started the thread because I'd heard so many people saying that N. hamata was a very difficult plant to grow - especially when very young. Both of these clones were small T/C babies without any roots at all when I received them. I stuck them in media & hoped for the best (kinda figuring that they would melt away since they had no roots). Obviously I was pleasantly surprised with their growth (& hope that it continues). So far, they're very enjoyable plants & even though the teeth aren't mature, I'm still pretty amazed at what nature can conjure up ....
Cool, they grow up so fast, don't they? Just 2 months, great work.
Sorry for this confusion. I received them in Jan of this year & the most recent pics are in Aug - - - little bit longer than 2 months. :scratch:
Grown under lights?
Yup - one in a tank in my office & another in a tank in the basement. I'd planned to move the upstairs plant to the basement once summer hit with the higher temps but so far it has been handling them well (unlike some of my South American dews & utrics). :eek: :headwall:
Very nice Ron. You seem to be branching out.
Yup - this was my 1st Nep (technically the 2nd - but 1st was over 15 years ago & died after a few months). Enjoyment of these guys has prompted me to add 2 others (an aristo & black truncata). I hope they grow as well....

Among the best looking small N. hamata that I have seen. Very well done Ron. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice grow. Hope to see more pic of its progress:boogie:

I've had a note on my 'ToDo' list for a long time to take some updated pics of my 2 N. hamata plants - since they've been producing full-size lowers for a while. The overall pics are a bit tough to see because each plant is in a 10 gal community tank. For the 1st one - that's a 'sort-of' since I'm tearing that tank down and moving the remnants to a larger unit (finally).

Here's the 1st plant (the D. adelae should provide some perspective)(the moss-covered brick on the left formerly had pots of D. ascendens perched on it)(extra points go to the eagle-eyed person who can spot a U. longifolia leaf - telling me that i cannot eradicate it from this tank) :censor:
Nhamatat1120410RS.jpg

Here's some of the individual pitchers - sharing some space with D. adelae (sharp-eyed people may recognize the pitcher on the right as the one which received a wasp for dinner one night ...) :-O
NhamatawadelaeRS.jpg

Tilt-back lid...
Nhamatatiltlid120410RS.jpg

Cozy...
Nhamata2pitchers120410RS.jpg

.... another...
Nhamata-crookedtooth120410RS.jpg

Dark pitcher w/ deformed mouth & little lid...
Nhamatapitchernarrowmouth-dark120410RS.jpg

The 2nd plant in another 10 gal tank. Sadly, I've never gotten around to transplanting this one to a larger pot. Somewhere under all of those pitchers, there is a 2.5" pot (the one above was transplanted into a 6" pot a long time ago).
Nhamatat2RS.jpg

Some of the other occupants: 8:30 - U. humboldtii, 10:00 D. prolifera, 11:00 - D. ascendens, Serra de Ponta Grossa, Parana State, Brazil, 1:00 D. graomogolensis, Itacambira, Minas Gerais, Brazil, ~6:00 - wispy pieces are from D. filiformis 'all red', Washington County, FL.

More & more teeth .... :-D
NhamatapitchershapeRS.jpg

Nhamatateethc120110RS.jpg

Nhamatateetha120110RS.jpg

Last edited:
Back