What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft seedling journal

I have them in 50/50 peat and silica sand.

o ok i should get some seeds then

Also, the peat that I use says ''Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss". I don't get it. Does that mean it's peat and sphagnum mixed together???

it is canadian sphagnum that is decomposed which makes peat

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

SooooooooO? What's the green, mildewy stuff? ***rocks back and forth from her toes to her heels***

It sounds like the classic example of opportunistic mosses taking advantage of the micronutrients available in your mix. Did you rinse the sand and peat before use, or sterilize it? I suggest you commence a light top spraying of the medium until the green leaches out, and keep repeating the process at least daily. Keep the mist fine, and try not to disturb the seeds. Once the mosses take hold they will choke out the seedlings.

But the greenies aren't on the soil. They are on the seeds.
confused.gif

That doesn't sound too good, the seeds may be adversely affected, but think positively. It may be that the testa has a coating of algae and the seeds will still germinate. I guess time will tell. If you need more seeds to experiment with, I have a crop maturing right now of the clumping type typical form that you are welcome to when they pop. Good luck with your project!

Aw man! Let's hope something incredibly abnormal happens and I have good luck for a change.

Greetings,
FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you need more seeds to experiment with, I have a crop maturing right now of  the clumping type typical form that you are welcome to when they pop.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If this is available to other as well, I would love to try some.  When they are ready please PM me about trading!

SF

<span style='color:green'>UPDATE</span> <span style='color:green'>08</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>07</span><span style='color:red'>|</span><span style='color:green'>03</span>

WOOHOO!!!!!!!! I just realized that the green stuff are the SEEDLINGS starting to pop out of the seeds!!!! THEY'RE GROWING!!! At least two are beginning to grow!!! I looked closer at them with a magnifying glass and a saw little bright green protrusions, about the size of a seed, coming out of the ends of at least two of the seeds! WOOTWOOT!!! WOOWOO!!! WOOHOO!!! ***dances around like an idiot***

Congrats FTG.... I know how you feel
smile.gif
I just noticed the first teeny tiny dew tenticles on my drosera seedlings.. heheh kinda makes me feel like a new daddy.. wahooo

Steve

''Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" is technically correct..
because PEAT moss *is* decompsed spagnum!
although technically, if its now peat, it isnt really sphagnum anymore, even though it once was, so I guess it ok to call peat "spagnum peat" because it is kinda both..
So peat IS also spagnum, but spagnum is NOT peat because spagnum hasnt turned into peat yet!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

FTG, if you are getting some kind of mold/fungus on your seeds, I would guess you arent giving the pot enough direct light and/or ventelation..are you treating the VFT seeds the exact same way as your adult VFTs? the pot of seeds should get just as much light as the adult plants..lots of direct sun! they wont burn if they are exposed to the sun BEFORE and AS they sprout..if they sprouted in shade and *then* you moved them into sun, they would burn..thats why its best to sprout them in "normal" VFT conditions, so they are fully adapted to the direct sunlight "from birth"..then they will never burn.
keeping them out of sunlight because they seem "delicate" will only make them weak..(im not sure that is what you are doing..im just saying, in general, not accusing you of anything!  
wink.gif

(edit)..'doh! I replied from page one, and so I didnt see FTG's reply about the germanating until AFTER I posted!
so never mind about the mold then!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

congratulations FTG!!

Scot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ Aug. 07 2003,8:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">''Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" is technically correct..
because PEAT moss *is* decompsed spagnum!
although technically, if its now peat, it isnt really sphagnum anymore, even though it once was, so I guess it ok to call peat "spagnum peat" because it is kinda both..
So peat IS also spagnum, but spagnum is NOT peat because spagnum hasnt turned into peat yet!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
***blinks hard***

*complete and utter silence*

*suddenly* HUH??? Okay... nevermind.
rolleyes.gif

I'm so jealous.  
sad.gif

I'll be happy to get one to sprout..but two..wow!  
wow.gif

Well, it doesn't seem quite so amazing when you know that I have two growing... out of sixty!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, it doesn't seem quite so amazing when you know that I have two growing... out of sixty![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It's only been two weeks! More will sprout soon, I'm sure of it!

SF

Back