What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft experiment

I wanted to share with you an experiment I have been doing - we have been talking about this sort of thing on the pitcher plant forum, but since it's a VFT, I thought I would post it here.

For the last few months, I have been adding blue food coloring to the water my test VFT sits in. It's in a 5 inch tall dixie cup (yes, with holes in the bottom) that sits in a small japanese ceramic bowl and the water level varies from 1/2 to 1 1/4 inches. Each time I add water to the bowl, I also add 3 drops of coloring.

Nothing has happened - it looks just my other flytraps. So, today I am starting a new approach. I just fed it a big fat fly and a large drop of blue food coloring in the trap!

We will see what happens......

Wild Bill

maybe you should use LOTS it. pour a couple of bottles into the soil and into the water.

or hey its wildbill! can you post some pics of your terrarium? i was told it had fish and a frog in it. sounds cool!

I still have to take some photos of the terrarium, and I'm sure Nathan will put them up on the NECPS page too.

As for the 'Blue Wonder' flytrap - I have since fed it 4 meals of flies and blue food coloring. The spines of the traps turned a bit blue with streaks down the trap sides - but this might be because of overflow.

I am bringing it to the NECPS meeting tomorrow, hopefully someone there can take a digital picture of it.

Wouldn't it be cool if it flowered and they were blue!

WildBill

Per request, Wild Bill's Blue Wonder

20030621-CP-display-Bill's%20Blue%20Wonder-D.muscipula%20x%20food%20coloring.jpg

The parts that look black are really deep blue. I think it's just stained with food coloring so far, but the experiment is new, still.

ewwwwwww..... your sure thats just stained dark blue?

it looks really gross.

good luck!! i think i see a mutated trap too! it almost looks like it tried to be a cup trap. neat.

Blue.............and somewat gross.

I'd love to see if it flowers blue, like you can make carnations do?!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

I'm blue daba dee daba diiiii

I have a blue house with a blue window....
blue is the color of all that I knowwwww....

wow.gif
Sorry.
tounge.gif

Yesterday I fed it another large drop of blue food coloring and a juicey fly. 5 traps fed that way so far.

It has been growing indoors, under fluorescent lights. Today I am moving it outside, where many of my other VFTs are sending up flowers.

WildBill

PS: I am also thinking about trying something with professional food coloring - the kind you have to buy at a Cake Shop. Either liquid or paste form. What fun!!

Sar0, Bingo! Guess I wasn't as out of tune as I thought...LOL

Bill, that poor plant! Must feel like it's on the Island of Dr. Moreau!
wink.gif
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

I'd say that poor little flytrap is feeling a little blue....
sad.gif

Muuaaaaahhhaahahahah!
tounge.gif

Oh, Plantakiss...

Might I say you just blue it with that one?
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

DOH!
wink.gif

...ouch, groaners, what wicked, yet blue fun!
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PlantAKiss @ June 27 2003,02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd say that poor little flytrap is feeling a little blue....  
sad.gif

Muuaaaaahhhaahahahah!  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I would have to agree.
rolleyes.gif

Travis

For those of you following this,

Today I fed two more traps big drops of blue food coloring and big flies.

Wild Bill

The experiment continues...

Today I fed 3 more traps big drops of blue food coloring followed with a fly.

No signs of a flower scape yet. It does seem like it's growing slower than my other flytrap plants.

Wild Bill

Back