What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Tiny Orchid Garden

Every year, I bring my orchids into my house in winter and most of them bloom. Share pictures for fun and thank you for watching them.

tini-01.jpg

tini-03.jpg

tini-05.jpg

tini-04.jpg

tini-02.jpg

Wow!! Amazing collection you have there! My collection I wouldn't consider extraordinary by any means, and it consists mostly of phals with a few random others thrown ...most are "bargain rack" rescues from commercial places too lol. You've got a very humbling collection, Nice work!

Thank Cremmy, most of my orchids are phals too with some dendros, catts, oncidiums.

You're very welcome, and for the record - "tiny" your collection is not! :) haha, too funny, those are the same random ones I have thrown into my collection too :) One of my phals in bloom is a more recently added one, is sort of similar-ish to your purple ones in bloom... I have on Oncidium bulb - rooted but not much else going on there as it was received as a trade, one dendrobium (original had gotten two, traded one off lol), and bought a silly planter of cattleya pups that are looking a bit sad though :p

67040_527440043962432_737155294_n.jpg

316949_527440067295763_840398201_n.jpg

Cremmy, I love your orchid: bright color!! I have some Cats but they are quite hard to bloom like phals and dens.

Aww thanks! It has become one of my faves hehe :) It was a steal "as is" at $5.00 ;) I have several phals various stages of "spiking".. but we shall she if i've gotten the hang of getting them to bloom lol..if they spike, will they bloom regardless? or do you know if they can produces spikes that are bloomless?

This is my trick to bloom phals during new year (especial lunar new year): let them cool but not too cold or freeze before winter then bring them in house. When they're in house, give them a little bit fertilizer so they wake up and bloom. Almost 95 % phals begin blooming after a month. The same with dens but only few with cats.

Awesome! I will definitely have to remember this for their next winter time! Thanks so much for the information, it has been most helpful for sure :) Been a lot of trial & error thus far, but least most things are still growing lol!

Stunning ! Whats the money value of a collection like that ?

Aww thanks! It has become one of my faves hehe :) It was a steal "as is" at $5.00 ;) I have several phals various stages of "spiking".. but we shall she if i've gotten the hang of getting them to bloom lol..if they spike, will they bloom regardless? or do you know if they can produces spikes that are bloomless?

Typically Phals. initiate spikes after a couple weeks or so of being exposed to lower night temperatures. Drops into the 50s at night should be enough to trigger the spike initiation. Sometimes, the plants will spike and the buds will "blast" or form keikis instead of flowers. Blasting usually occurs when conditions change drastically while buds are forming (major drops in humidity or temperatures is usually the main culprit). Keiki or plantlet formation doesn't usually occur in Phalaenopsis in a manner that replaces buds for plants, but it is common in Dendrobium nobile and its hybrids. Often, it is the result of not giving the plants a sufficient winter night temperature drop or because of too much water in winter. Phals. often produce keikis at the non-blooming nodes of spikes after the initial flush of blooms.

Back