What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My P. 'Sethos'

I have my P. sethos <span style='color:eek:range'>[Edit: P. 'Sethos']</span>growing outside along all of my other plants and I was wondering why it hasn't started producing it's winter leaves yet. My D. intermedia and D. filiformis var. tracyi have already started their hibernicula and all of my other plants have slowed down in growth, however my P. sethos <span style='color:eek:range'>[Edit: P. 'Sethos']</span>is thriving.

P. 'Sethos' <span style='color:eek:range'>[Edit: P. 'Sethos']</span>isn't temperate, just so ya know. They don't respond to cooler temps, usually just photoperiod and the wetness in the soil, or whenever they feel like it. Don't worry, it'll make some eventually, or maybe not. It's not like they have to make it to be healthy.

-Ben

I know that they're not temperate and all but I thought that temperature also had something to do with it. As you can probably tell this is my first time with a mexican ping.

Oh, ok. These "winter leaves" are used to store water in the dry periods in their habitat in Mexico. It is easier to have water-storing leaves than water-sucking dew-making leaves when it is dry.

-Ben

Pretty much what Ben said. Mexican Pinguicula, even Pinguicula 'Sethos' generally change leaf forms in response to photoperiod and moisture levels. Among various groups of cloned plants, all growing under fluorescent lights, I will often have some that are in summer leaf form and some that are in winter leaf form. It's an interesting feature of Mexican Pinguicula, but not something that can be relied upon as an indicator of the season.

Ok so whenever it starts to dry up it will start to produce it's winter leaves?

Possibly, but it may also do it whenever, just as Joseph said in another post, they even make them when in trays of water.

-Ben

Back