What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MY new hamata

I got a hamata today form a local nursery( THANKS MOM!!:-O) I have it under flourescent lights and in a terraium
its about 2" in diameter and well I have pics I am thinking of lining the terraium with mylar
since the plant isnt that close to the light. I tried elevating it but I dont want it to topple over.
Nhamata3.jpg

Nhamata.jpg

Now all you have to worry about are jealous carnivorous plant growers that might take a visit to your house.....

On a completely unrelated note:
What part of Oregon do you live in?

Nice gift. Nice hair, too.

xvart.

I hope you covered it right back up immediately after taking those pics.
Seriously...watch out for humidity fluctuations.

Cover up?? I am growing my hamata as a window sill plant and the humidity fluctuates all the time and it is doing fine. How do you grow your hamata PK?

Hamata doesn't it have thin leafs and after it is bigger than the pot(leafspan wise) you ned to be extra careful about humidity since the leafs are not hairy or waxy ???

How big is your huy? When small (under a couple inches), they're pretty intolerant of humidity fluctuations.

hamata's a weird little plant. Seems that some people lose leaves and pitchers and even plants with the tiniest fluctuations, and others grow it on windowsills in 30% humidity with ease.

Very nice Hamata =). You picked that up from a local nursery eh? They don't happen to sell online do they? No need for a vendor name, just wondering if it's who I think it is. Anywho, very sweet christmas gift =).

notice the red label? *hint hint*

Nepenthes, i think probably is! ;)

oh man, I'm jealous. I'd love to have one of these, let alone find it in local nursery!

totally man! I got to say I am jealous as well. Fantastic hamata there. Looks in perfect quality for the money u spent *ahem*...*cough*...If I think that you bought it at the place which I am thinking about. ;)

GOod luck with it. I need to get this plant. man! its fantastic. I am selling my miranda and ventrata and I will probably get me a small nep. :p Not a hamata...lol! can't afford that much. lol!

PK, mine is only 3-4inches across. I got it last year and this coming January is our anniversary. :-D What about your PK? I am really interested on how you grow hamata in your condition, Texas. Let us know if you have any secretes.

I am really interested on how you grow hamata in your condition, Texas. Let us know if you have any secretes.
My hamata succumbed to the legendary shipping shock which has been known to accompany small ones. When I received mine, it was about 1.5" across. I had it in constnat 80% humidity, and it was given the proper temps (this was during fallish, when my part of Texas is actually kind of cold). Here's a day by day journal of my hamata:

Day 1: nothing
Day 2: nothing
Day 3: Black leaf
Day 4: dead

If I try it again, I'll talk to the person I'm getting it from and make sure its hard. Not saying mine wasn't, but when small hamatas die from shipping in the hands of Tony Paroubek...what was I supposed to do :p

oh man, I'm jealous. I'd love to have one of these, let alone find it in local nursery!
hhm the vendor is like an hours drive but is closed to the public I do get shipping discounts cause I live close spo I guess I an consider it local.

"but when small hamatas die from shipping in the hands of Tony Paroubek...what was I supposed to do."

I thought we are not suppose to mention name of vendor here. Well any way, i think it must something that you did wrong because my hamata t was half the size as now and it did fine.
What media did you potted it in?

Tony is a member here, not speaking of his vending, just something that has happened to him as I have heard ;).

I left it in what it came in - LFS. I heard recently that hamata seems to need/prefer LFS, so it certainly wasn't that. I don't think there's much you can do wrong to kill a nep in 4 days, save pouring acid on it or leaving it in the stove or something.

I thought you said you hated LFS. What made you changed your mind? May be if you would have repot into an airier mix it may survive.

Maybe that experience is one reason for the... "distaste" for LFS.

xvart.

Back