What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My house Nep (N. x ventrata)

MORE LUMENS!
I'll mention that this window faces North East ish so in the current time of year the sun is blocked by the front porch. Anybody think more light WON'T help? 🤔
20230125_194812.jpg20230125_194822.jpg

Unknown. But it should be easy to undo if you see it burning leaves or causing other problems. It certainly sounds like something I would try.

I think more light probably would be better for that Ventrata but I have zero experience growing plants in conditions even remotely like Tucson.

Where I live, between NYC & Boston, even low-light plants appreciate full southern exposure mid-winter. By early March, however, the southern windows are getting too intense for some plants, but not Neps if I remember correctly from back when I had Neps. It all works out, though, because the more sensitive plants start moving away from the brightest windows at the same time I want to start putting vegetable seedlings in windows. Eventually, everything goes outside for the warmer months, which probably isn't a successful strategy for Neps in Tucson..

Unknown. But it should be easy to undo if you see it burning leaves or causing other problems. It certainly sounds like something I would try.
Well, the wiring of it is all hardwired together, I guess I could unscrew the bulbs and leave the fixtrure or something if need be. :p
I think more light probably would be better for that Ventrata but I have zero experience growing plants in conditions even remotely like Tucson.

Where I live, between NYC & Boston, even low-light plants appreciate full southern exposure mid-winter. By early March, however, the southern windows are getting too intense for some plants, but not Neps if I remember correctly from back when I had Neps. It all works out, though, because the more sensitive plants start moving away from the brightest windows at the same time I want to start putting vegetable seedlings in windows. Eventually, everything goes outside for the warmer months, which probably isn't a successful strategy for Neps in Tucson..
I've definitely been tempted to try some outside, BUT just keeping them wet would be a new full time job on its own. So, probably never will. @RamPuppy is growing some neps and other cps in his backyard in the summers in Texas. They seem to be doing well! I wonder if I can get him to come post about it this coming year. :D

What part of TX is RamPuppy in? There's a world of difference between Houston and El Paso and I have no trouble imagining Neps in the former ... not so much in the latter. That said, I love hearing about people doing what doesn't seem possible, especially when it's done in simple ways.

Growing Neps outdoors in the hot desert strikes me as being a bigger challenge than growing Sarrs and figs outdoors here in CT, but people living in extreme places find ways to do things. I sometimes think we'd be better off if people had a little less ingenuity, but pushing the limits in growing plants is a reasonable use for it.

His current house and the new location he is moving to soon are both north of San Antonio. He says the new location is a tad cooler and dryer so we'll see if it makes any difference. He's said he will post about it, but after he moves and gets settled. My plan to drag him back in progressing as expected!! :devilish:

I took this for someone else, but may as well share it here too. :D
20230709_171358.jpg
20230709_171631.jpg

That is magnificent! This is the carnivorous houseplant that the world needs.

Back