What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I received my first Ping last week!!:boogie:

I got a P. agnata x moranensis from California Carnivores. It's still really small, but I'm really excited about it. I did some reading before I got it, so I know a little about the winter dormancy for Mexican Pings and to let the soil dry out. I'm pretty sure mine is out of it's dormancy because the leaves look sticky, so I'm using the tray method to water it with distilled water. Right now I have it sitting in a south facing kitchen window that gets lots of light. I have no idea what the humidity is, but it's sitting above my kitchen sink in my house in Louisiana. The AC is running, so that will remove some humidity, but I imagine the humidity is still pretty high. I keep my house at about 69 degrees at night and 71 during the day....I'm sure it gets warmer in the window with the sunlight. It seems to be happy and doing well. I was really just wondering if I am doing everything correctly and if there are any tips anyone can give me. I'm most concerned about watering it. Will the tray method keep it too wet?

Also, I did a little bit of internet shopping over the weekend :oops: , and ordered a P. x 'sethos'. I haven't received it yet, but any tips for that one are appreciated too.

Last edited:
Congrads. I had a mexican ping once but i was never able to overwinter it sucesfully. Good luck to you.

Mexican pings do very well on the tray method. I think they'll do just fine. I would rewater when the tray actually gets close to drying out. The Sethos will do just as well in the same conditions as the other. I would also suggest taking leaf cuttings as backups. They are real easy to sprout and share. Don't worry about providing extra humidity; the open tray method is a decent approximation of assuring adequate "local" humidity. (You're spending waaaayyyy too much for these kind of plants!)

Mexican pings do very well on the tray method. I think they'll do just fine. I would rewater when the tray actually gets close to drying out. The Sethos will do just as well in the same conditions as the other. I would also suggest taking leaf cuttings as backups. They are real easy to sprout and share. Don't worry about providing extra humidity; the open tray method is a decent approximation of assuring adequate "local" humidity. (You're spending waaaayyyy too much for these kind of plants!)

I'm glad they will do fine on the tray method. I do have a few questions about leaf cuttings....can I do a leaf cutting even though the plant is still really small? Also, what is the best way to get a leaf cutting to grow? I've read that you can just lay it on the soil and cover the end of it (at least I think that's what it said), but I've also seen people mention doing it in ziploc baggies. How does the ziploc bag method work? It that where you wrap it in damp paper towels until it sprouts (like kids do in science classes with lima beans)?

Yeah...I know I'm spending too much :crap: . I really should have gotten leaf cuttings from around here....but I was already placing an order....and it was instant gratification.....plus....I'm a CP junkie....:blush: In the future I plan to poke around here for them...by in the future I mean 3 or 4 days from now when I need a fix. :jester:

*Edit*

You know it's an addiction when you sneak around ordering plants so your spouse doesn't catch you. And when they do catch you, you feel like you were just caught with a dirty needle in you arm.

I've been taking cuttings from mature plants, whether it be the winter leaves, which are very small, or the summer leaves, which can be over an inch. Not sure where yours is at. Here is a picture of a plant that is displaying both summer and winter leaves, since it is now transitioning between the two:

IMG_0132.jpg

Best way to cultivate them? I have been placing the leaves right next to the parent plant, uncovered, and have had good success with them sprouting. But I have also had comparable success by placing them in moist media, in baggies, at an east or partially shaded window sill. Either works. They're really easy!

As usual, I have pictures:

Strausplants002.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

I you're interested (and this is a general offering), I'd be happy to share leaves of various species and/or crosses. All I ask is the $4 shipping cost covered.

Thanks for the photos. They really help me to understand the difference between summer leaves and winter leaves. I will have to look at my plant when I get home tonight to see what kind of leaves I have. I think I will give leaf cuttings a try...it sounds really easy.

I'll pm you about the leaves you offered.

Thanks for your help!

Sweet! Good luck with that. I got a P. Laueanna from Calcarnivores too!

- Jeff

That may have been from before the change of servers. I just corrected it.

Back