What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My FIRST Darlingtonia!

tommyr

Gardening freak!
Just got my first Cobra lily from the left coast. A 3 year old seeding. Plants are about 1 inch tall. I assume it needs dormancy now so it's in my fridge. Does that sound about right? I emailed the seller for their advice. Here she is!

I am also stratifying some Cobra seeds as well to sow at the end of December.

3yearCobras_2.jpg

A fridge dormancy should be a last resort as it will shock the plant quite badly. Darlingtonia can take pretty cold winters, down to freezing temperatures even. If you have a garage with a window or a covered porch it will probably do just fine.

No garage, no covered porch, attic too cold, no basement. The fridge is my only choice. We get real cold here, most of the winters are below 32F. My Sarrs and VFTs do well in the fridge the past 4 years.

my darlingtonia took temps down into the low teens last year without any problem....they are native to the mountains and coastlines of northwest cali and southwest oregon.....it gets pretty cold there lol.

The temperatures your plant can take depends on whether it is a coastal variety or a mountain variety. I live about a half an hour from lots of native stands of Darlingtonia and it regularly gets below freezing in the winter and up over 100°F during the summer.

But evidently the coastal variety doesn't do as well with the freezes as they rarely experiences temperatures down near freezing.

I doubt that your attic is too cold.

Mine is Mountain. But it gets too cold here for them.

They can take some cold and snow:

Picture001-28.jpg

The actual Darlingtonia are next to the Sarracenias.

Tommy - I'd say don't get tempted to leave them outside. If your clone isn't hardy enough, freezing repeatedly will kill it. I've lost darlings on about 6 separate occasions that way.

Do you have a bulkhead? Should be prefect for your plants, and I know of another member in NY that keeps his in a bulkhead.

Edit: lol, sorry, forgot no basement. If you insulate the plant then the attic shouldn't be too cold at all. How cold does it get in winter anyway?

We've had several nights in the mid 20'sF. here already. No snow yet thank (insert your deity of choice here).

3 weeks and I start some Darlingtonia seeds! Nice pic Jim!

chances are if it came from where i think it came from, it is already dormant...and if it is from that place, they put no location date for the plant so it very well could be of coastal origin unless otherwise specified. the mountain location plants are not easy to come by in cultivation

Back