What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Musical instrument

hi , i was just wondering since alot of people have mentioned playing instruments such as guitars or whatever i was just wondering who else here plays a musical intrument . i play a brass instrument called a trumpet , it may look easy but its not . i've played it in 6th grade then i started again in 7th grade summer school which is now . the misconceptions about playing a brass intrument is people usually thing that you just blow in and it makes a noise , not true , you have to try to make a buzzing to make a noise come out of the instrument .i guess i could say that i am good at playing it .

Hey - maybe you could paint it up to look like you're playing a pitcher plant - just kidding. You could have a little band called the Boggy Boys Brass Band and all the horns could look like different pitcher plants. Hmmm, how some VFT cymbals, or a drum set that looks like a Ceph.... OK, gettin' a little carried away here.

I play acoustic guitar, and and banjo (what a racket&#33
wink.gif
. I also have always wated to learn Cajun accordion - I have a little toy one around here someplace.

Wild Bill

my instrument ---> my writhing vocal chords. i am in the metal band Forever Untouched, our website is my homepage if ur interested.
biggrin.gif

I did a music scholarship, went to a music school for 5 years and studied classical music, theory, composing, etc then left school and forgot the lot. Never used it again and probably never will, a bit like most of my physics.

I played the flute in an orchestra (I can see the word "dweeb" popping into everyone's heads right about now) and sax a little too.
One instrument I always, even now, wished I could play is the piano. Myhummingbird if you are any good then I'm jealous.

Cheers, Troy.

Bagpipes

Cheers

LOL Pete

Are you any good, or more to the point can anyone tell if you're not?

tounge.gif

Cheers, Troy.

My Dad plays the bagpipes too!
He is in the "Ladies from h ell" pipeband, Athens PA.
(doh! the forum wont accept "h-ell"! it was changing it "ladies from ####")

ok, I just have to tell where the name "Ladies from h ell" comes from!
biggrin.gif

Back in World War One, the Scots  (along side the English) were fighting the Germans..that was back in the days of trench warfare, when both sides could still actually SEE each other! well naturally the Scots fought in Kilts..their military dress included kilts..
the first time the Germans saw them, they laughed at them and taunted them, calling them "Ladies" and taunting them about their "skirts"..
but then the Scots proceded to whup them good!
after that, the Germans called them "Ladies from h-ell"!
always loved that story!

myself, I played trumpet starting way back in 3rd grade..then played Baritone (a Fat trumpet) all through highschool.
havenet picked it up since highschool though..I still have my original trumpet! and can still play a C scale, but thats about it!
then in College I taught myself the Bass..just started picking out the basslines to Janes Addiction and Cure songs..
then I was in a band here in Rochester from 95 - 2000.
my band days are probably over now..thats ok, all things must pass..

I won Billy Sheehan's bass back in '92!
a Yahama Attitude limited..a Bass he actually played!
got to meet him backstage when he opened for Rush at the meadowlands in '92.
I saw Alex Lifeson backstage, didnt meet him though..
I could hear Neil Peart playing in another room..never saw Geddy Lee at all..
due to inept security, I didnt get to spend as much time backstage as I was entitled to, so I was only back there about 5 minutes! oh well..even though Mr. Big was always a totally lame band, it was still cool to meet Billy Sheehan!
I still have my "Roll the Bones" pass/sticker! (we're not worthy&#33
wink.gif

Scot

I play the trumpet, and two songs on the piano, but more from repetitive teachings from my sister than talent...!! But hey, she can't even produce a sound on the trumpet!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

I play the electric guitar. Well, I TRY anyways
wink.gif
Not very good at it.

Funny, I was just going to start a post just like this. Anyways, I have played piano for about 3-4 years and am fairly competent with it. But I want to start playing guitar.

Acoustic guitar since 1969. I have a performance duo "Barleywine" with a focus on antique music, old timey, bluegrass, celtic, and psychedelic driven folk music. I also mess with keyboard, harmonica, mandolin and concertina. Apart from the plants and my friends, music is my life. What little income I enjoy comes from my love of the art.

Hey Pete, One day the bagpipe player realized he had left his pipes laying on the seat of his unlocked car! He ran the 4 blocks back, but he was too late. When he reached the car there were two sets of pipes on the front seat!

I do a nice cover of both "The Minstrel Boy To the Wars Has Come" and "Loch Lomin" also a hard and fast "Scott's Wha'hey" that never fails to bring deep regret to those of Scottish ancestry..........I am of Clan Henderson. I'd wear a kilt, if I could find one long enough, ach laddie!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildBill @ July 14 2003,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could have a little band called the Boggy Boys Brass Band and all the horns could look like different pitcher plants.  Hmmm, how some VFT cymbals, or a drum set that looks like a Ceph....  OK, gettin' a little carried away here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
nah , i'm more into classical music from the old days then the music today and i'd never make a band .

I was pretty good at the trombone before giving it up for a pair of decks and becoming a DJ. Given it all up now.

I play piano and compose (film score type music).

-hamata

I play an instrument called the bowed psaltery. It has a triangular shaped soundbox, is stringed, and is played with a bow -- no chords unless you play with two bows, then you can harmonize with yourself, sort of. It lends itself to Celtic music. I used to play the Renaissance Faire many moons ago. Some people liken it to the sound of angles. Other's think a cat's being tortured. No accounting for musical tastes!

cpwitch

I used to play the violin i got real good but i hated it
biggrin.gif

I don't play any instruments, but I'd like to play the drums in the near future. Also, does anyone here mix music? I've been experimenting with this lately but I think I'd like to learn more about it.

Mike
smile.gif

Back