What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting flytraps?

One more question. I have been misting my plants with a spray bottle once in the morning and once at night. I was wondering if this is acually good for flytraps. I have them growing in pots with saucers and a lower water table. I read that flytraps like lower water tables and was wondering if misting them might acually not be good for them.

Misting doesn't do much except raise the humidity. A result of this is more water retention in the leaf which is a good thing. Make sure it has good air circulation or you will increase chances of mold and fungus. I think it is helpful though.

IMO misting is not worth the effort..
it raises the humidity for about 5 minutes (10 minutes if you spray twice a day)..
but what about the other 1,430 minutes in the day?
wink.gif

not worth it..no real benefit that I can see.

Scot

scotts right.the mist evaporates to quickly.Not good method
sad.gif

Would you say that using a fish heater in a container full of water is best to use for humidity. I just started using this method a few days back. Some of my flytraps seemed alittle brittle (hard) to the touch, and I was worried they might not be receiving anuff humidity. Has anyone ever had this happen to their flytraps. What is the best way to end this.

Hi Zoey

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

You don't need to be too concerned about humidity for a VFT. They are native to the North Carolina coastal plains so they aren't from some steamy tropical paradise environment. Unless you live in an extremely dry climate (like Arizona), normal outdoor or indoor humidity is fine provided they are kept wet and in a tray or saucer of water.

Misting won't hurt your plant unless you keep it too wet with no air circulation. But it probably won't do much for it either. So I really wouldn't stress over the humidity issue. No use going to any extreme efforts over something thats not particularly beneficial to your VFT.

Suzanne

Well, I agree with you all. The VFTs do appreciate it a little, though they can do without it. Speaking of this, my neat little misting thing that I got at Lowe's that I always mist(ed) my CPs with, which looks alot like this, wore out yesterday! It won't mist anymore!!! And it always sprayed such a fine, pure mist, much better than spray bottles! Darnit! ***sigh*** Well, I guess I'll just have to stick with the spray bottles...

IMO misting does more harm than good in most cases because it evaportates quickly and makes only a brief impact on the humidity AND if it is excessive, moisture will accumulate in the crown, growth point, leaf axils and potential increase the risk of disease.

Are you growing your VFT on a windowsill or in a terrarium.  I get the impression in a terrarium, in which case you shouldn't need any humidifying device for VFT if the top is fairly well covered. If your growing them out on a windowsill then I would suggest an ultrasonic humidifier over near the plants. It would do a decent job of raising the humidity.

Tony

Thanks for all the great advice!

Well, off-topic, but, I told you about my old-fashioned plant mister waring out a couple posts ago... well, yesterday at Wal-Mart, I saw, in the hair care section(what it was doing there is beyond me), a couple racks full of lots of different types and styles of plastic sprayers. I got one. It works really well. The mist comes out alot fuller and heavier and faster than the old-fashioned one. I can completely soak one CP with just three sprays!
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
Anyhowees.....

BTW, go check out my post in the Butterwort forum
biggrin.gif

IMO , misting helps a bit too cool off the plants in hot conditions and raises the humidty a bit but withing about 10 minutes it will be all gone and you'd have to mist all over again , and i'm a very lazy person lol . i don't see it doin any harm to the plants .

That is basically how I water my flytrap. I have it in a terrarium, and spray it about 20-30 times once a week. and it seems to grow very well.

Back