What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Alright... So I put my humidity gauge out in my greenhouse last night and I've monitored it throughout the day. Just curious if neps can withstand these very mild swings in humidity.

(Sun rises at 6:00 AM and sets at 5:00 PM)

5:00 AM est. 90%
7:00 AM 75%
10:00 AM est. 50%
1:30 PM 35%
4:00 PM est. 45%
5:00 PM 60%
6:00 PM 80%
6:30 PM 85%
8:00 PM est. 90%

It only drops as low as 35% when in the sun. That's the lowest it goes all day. When out of the sun, it stays around 45% for a while. When the light levels drop off, the humidity quickly rises. In the mornings and a few hours after dark, the entire interior of the greenhouse has water gathered all over it.

So basically, when it's dark, it's in the 90% range. That's around 12 hours. During most the day, it's at an average of 45%. That's about 7 hours maximum.

Is this safe for highland nepenthes? Pretty easy species & hybrids... singalana, ventricosa x talangensis, maxima hybrid, ventrata, densiflora x spectabilis, jacquelineae, pasian highland truncata...

This is without a swamp cooler of humidifier. I'll keep the swamp cooler on a timer to turn on during the parts of the day when the sun is out (35% humidity). At night, I will be using a heater just in the winter, so that may bring the humidity down a bit, but it won't be drawing outside air in, so I wouldn't imagine it would change the humidity a lot. If necessary, when the heater comes on, I could run the swamp cooler.

Just trying to figure things out before moving my first nep (N. x 'Ventrata') outside... :)

Ya, that shouldn't bother them...they usually get hugh humidity in the night so the day doesn't matter as much w/ the temps and humidity

Ya, that shouldn't bother them...they usually get hugh humidity in the night so the day doesn't matter as much w/ the temps and humidity

Yay! Perfect!

Now I just need to wait for it to warm up to 45F nights consistantly and I can move my N. x 'Ventrata' outside as a test since it's the biggest and hardiest. When I get the heater and swamp cooler in there, I'll be all set I guess! :)

Most highlanders can take swings in humidity ok. Some of the more sensitive ones (such as jacq) won't like those lower numbers though and might refuse to pitcher. But it will 'harden' your plants, and most should adjust to it ok. Just watch that during those low humidity periods, you control the temps. Cool and low rh isn't bad. But if it gets hot and dry, that could spell trouble.

Back