What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melting snow to water CP's

• Thread starter Anna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    snow

Anna

carnivorus plant collector
Hi:

Have any of you northern CP growers ever collected snow and melted it for your CP's? Im running out of the water I saved from my dehumidifier over the summer and I was going to start bringing in snow and melting it. I figured I could get enough to fill up about 5 gallons. Anybody else do this???

yeah, i heard snow works fine.

Snow is perfectly fine as long as its not near the road where the salt is! Pick it from your backyard/field/ anywhere salt is not used!

Agreed. Snow is just frozen rain water. As long as the snow isn't contaminated by any kind of chemicals, you should be fine.

I wouldn't recommend yellow snow. ;)

Have you considered purchasing distilled water or R.O. water from the store? If you don't have that many plants to water, it may be more convenient for you to buy water. I go to the grocery store with my 5-gallon jug and buy refills of R.O. water. The grocery store I fo to only charges 50 cents per gallon. Our local Walmart charges 68 cents a gallon for distilled water. Good luck with which ever route you take.

50¢ and 68¢ for a gallon of distilled water?!?!
WTF.gif

I have two different local grocery stores that only charge 29¢ and 39¢ per gallon.

As long as the snow is uncontaminated it will be fine. But you have shovel a lot of snow to get 5 gallons of liquid.

50¢ and 68¢ for a gallon of distilled water?!?!
WTF.gif

I have two different local grocery stores that only charge 29¢ and 39¢ per gallon.

wow..you guys are lucky!
I have never seen it for less than 99¢ a gallon!
but I only buy about 5 gallons a year (this time of year, before I set up the rain collector)
so its not too bad..

Scot

Scot... w're in NY State! Yeah, I do snow and rain and distilled water. I have plastic tubs out there to collect the snow and rain. We have an ample supply of snow in the Buffalo area! Same with Rochester!

Scot... w're in NY State! Yeah, I do snow and rain and distilled water. I have plastic tubs out there to collect the snow and rain. We have an ample supply of snow in the Buffalo area! Same with Rochester!

yeah..gotta love NY!
I knew lots of things were more expensive here, but I never knew even WATER is more expensive here! shouldnt be surprised though..

Jim,
how is "the big storm" looking out your way so far?
we only have 2" on the ground so far..nothing major yet.

Scot

Snow is very useful for topping up the water supplies.

I usually cram as much snow as possible into my water butts if we get snow in February or March.

Snow

Anna,

Once you have collected enough snow and it has turned to water, it's a good idea to use a coffee filter when pouring the melted snow water into a container. Just place a funnel over the mouth of your container and put a coffee filter inside the funnel.(Hope I explained this right?) This way you will be able to filter out any dirt that may have come into contact with the snow! Hope this helps!

Giovanni

I used lots of hail works great and my dad's spa that he has not used yet nor filled with water filled up from the cover that came off so I have like 50 gallons of rain water :D Before winter is over get as much water as you can find those gallon plastic jugs in the recycle.

Hi All:

Thanks to everyone for their comments and idea's. Right now in Erie, PA we have 12" of snow on the ground with more on the way. Its going to be one of those storms where you start to run out room to put the snow. I should have lots of snow water to last me well into the summer.....:banana2:

yeah..gotta love NY!
I knew lots of things were more expensive here, but I never knew even WATER is more expensive here! shouldnt be surprised though..

Jim,
how is "the big storm" looking out your way so far?
we only have 2" on the ground so far..nothing major yet.

Scot

I don't know the total that fell, but last night at work I read that 6.4" had fallen. So maybe we received a few inches more since then. It's still snowing.

Great idea about using a coffee filter, if it can be held in place.

I'm too lazy to fill a bucket with snow. I wait for it to start melting off the roof and stick the bucket were it will catch the runoff. I don't worry about the dirt as most of it settles out after a couple days.

I wouldn't recommend yellow snow. ;)
Yeah the yellow snow is good for making snowcones, but it's not good for cp's.

I use tap water, but like that say on TV. "Don't try this at home." I'm in one of the places that the tap water is ok to use. I have tested it. I only use it when I have no rain water.

With rain in the summer and snow in the winter I have not needed to buy water in almost a year. It's great plus I get paid to shovel it so we all win.

Fresh snpw last night! Time to fill the jugs!

Back